Author Topic: SYM HD 200 motor oil change  (Read 702 times)

david23

• View Profile
SYM HD 200 motor oil change
« on: April 18, 2017, 02:51:48 PM »
Hi, I'd like to let you guys know that I change the oil on my 2015 SYM HD 200 every 2,000 miles with Valvoline 10W40 motor oil and I do the oil change on the right side where the strainer is This brand of motor oil is great I use it on all my vehicles, but of course for my scooter and motorcycle I use the one designated for wet clutches that have the MA/JASO rating I don't know why so many people use Shell Rotella on scooters and motorcycles, since it isn't specifically made for bikes Well that's my 2 cents, thanks for your time I'd also like to add that I live in California and I'm aware that there are parts of the country where the temperature can go from extreme to extreme For my specific situation, this motor oil is terrific
     I'd also like to say that I'm very thankful to some of you other members who posted a very detailed explanation on when and where to use different weights and viscosities of motor oil This was very helpful Until we communicate again, have a good one
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 02:18:16 PM by david23 »

Tromper

• View Profile
Re: SYM HD 200 motor oil change
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »
Rotella got JASO certs a while back.  Even BMW says it's OK for their bikes as I recall.
Oil threads tend to be long drawn out affairs with more than a few flames so I ain't gonna advocate one way or the other, but that, & the cost, is why it gets used.
I do question if you need to worry about wet clutch in these bikes since they're all dry clutch.  Far as I know only some of the scoots in the Maxi class run a wet clutch, the lighter stuff is pretty much dry centrifugal stuff.

Cheers
Tromper
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 12:44:03 AM »
2000 miles is way too long. There is no oil filter. 1000 miles

david23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 03:03:23 PM »
2000 miles works for me I check the oil condition and level quite often I don't want to overdue it and waste resources for nothing I'm trying to be a responsible citizen and conserve what we were given as much as possible A lot of people tend to change the motor oil on their vehicles such as their cars, motorcycles, trucks etc... too often and it's just not necessary The SYM HD 200 doesn't have an oil filter but it has a strainer and if you clean it thoroughly and properly, it should last the life of the vehicle Later

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
Good luck with that. You are going to ruin your engine.

david23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »
It says in the owner's manual that 2000 miles is the correct interval for motor oil changes and it's been working great so far This is the best scooter I've ever owned, I recommend anyone getting one

See ya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 07:14:38 PM »
My dealer recommends 2000 between oil changes. I plan to do that however next oil change will be full synthetic and 2500 to 2700 mile usage.

I am using Quaker State 10w-30 car oil and next will be Pennzoil Platiumn.

david23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 02:48:14 PM »
I would use motorcycle oil with the MA/JASO rating just to be on the safe side, not car oil, and 100% synthetic oil has smaller molecules than conventional oil, so you might see some leaks on your bike because of this I highly recommend the Valvoline motorcycle oil, works great and it's not expensive That's my opinion, good luck and ride safe

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 04:20:17 PM »
I would use motorcycle oil with the MA/JASO rating just to be on the safe side, not car oil, and 100% synthetic oil has smaller molecules than conventional oil, so you might see some leaks on your bike because of this I highly recommend the Valvoline motorcycle oil, works great and it's not expensive That's my opinion, good luck and ride safe

Motorcycle oil is useless on bikes that do not have a wet clutch. You are simply wasting money.
And you do not get leaks because you use full synthetic.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »
Heck Scos, to be honest I'm a bit on the fence in regard to these bikes, and have used pretty much all of the above.

There might be some benefit to a motorcycle oil these days since automotive oil's had the zinc phosphate reduced so much, & it also tends to be more sheer oriented than an automotive oil.  I use it in my burger of course since it does have a wet clutch and the oil does migrate.

That said I suspect a comment attributed to Cam Purvis has the right of it in terms of just make sure ya change the stuff out now and again.
There are lots of folks riding scoots lots of miles who just buy what's available and use it.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »
There is probably no real reason to use full synthetic in a liquid cooled scoot. Engine temp rarely gets high enough for any real issues to appear, and most scoots never get high enough mileage for engine wear to be a real issue. My HD 200 and BV 250 are both 2009 machines with about 11K miles on each. They need 3-4X that for wear from oil to be an issue. Won't happen.

However, it can't hurt. But motorcycle oil is just a waste of money, as is "Amsoil" and similar. Just change it often. In the HD I change it out every 600 miles. Since I am retired and don't ride to work, that is really about once a season at most. The BV has an actual filter, with a factor recommendation of 6K miles, just like a car. I still do once a season, with a new filter. Rotella T6.

david23

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »
I disagree, I am not wasting my money The price difference isn't very much and I've consulted with the dealership and professional mechanics who work on these kinds of bikes and they recommend the motorcycle oil with the JASO/MA rating About the full synthetic oil, I didn't say these oils cause the actual leak, just that a leak might appear where there was no leak before due to the smaller molecule structure of fully synthetic oils, later

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »
I think all synthetics have that rating now.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 11:11:23 PM »
I disagree, I am not wasting my money The price difference isn't very much and I've consulted with the dealership and professional mechanics who work on these kinds of bikes and they recommend the motorcycle oil with the JASO/MA rating About the full synthetic oil, I didn't say these oils cause the actual leak, just that a leak might appear where there was no leak before due to the smaller molecule structure of fully synthetic oils, later

Thought that the synthetics noted a more uniform molecule not necessarily smaller.
And of course there are synthetics and things called synthetics that are highly refined dino.
I had a problem with the later way back when (Syntec), but never the former.
That said I'm still pretty much and advocate of just change it and you're good.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Dabears

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 03:14:37 PM »
These oil threads always seem to get so complicated.  I reset my HD indicator each time I change the oil with T6 Rotella that I buy in bulk at Walmart.
Takes a couple minutes, and I always clean the screen.   I'm 61, and with all the vehicles and powered equipment I've had over the course of the last 50 years starting with my first go cart I have never had a car, truck, scooter, motorcycle, chainsaw, lawnmower etc die as a result of lubrication failure.  Why is this always such a passionate topic?