Author Topic: Service and performance related question  (Read 152 times)

jaybird

• View Profile
Service and performance related question
« on: April 18, 2017, 09:04:13 AM »
Howdy,

Been a while since I've posted. For various reasons I haven't been able to ride the past couple of years and am trying to get my scooter back into shape. I have a few questions if anyone feels like chiming in:

- What's the best way to check gear oil? I've changed it and put in as close to 170cc as I could measure (using the volume measurement lines on the oil container). In the manual it says to run the scoot for a few minutes then check...just doesn't say how.

- My 2k9 is just shy of 7000km, but due to it's age I'm thinking I'll likely need a new belt in the near future. Going to check shipping from scooterseals along with some air filters. While I'm in there, I was debating switching my rollers over to sliders.

I'm having a bit of issue finding 25X22 20g, but happened to come by 25X22 22g (https://www.buggypartsnw.com/index.php/dr-pulley-products/dr-pulley-slider-weights/400cc-and-higher/dr-pulley-slider-weight-25x22-for-250cc-500cc.html). I read in another post here that switching dropping from 22g rollers to 20g sliders would give better acceleration with little to no change in top end. I'm guessing a straight switch to 22g has no affect? Should I just keep digging and try to get the 20g instead? I live outside of town so I do spend some time on the highway, but usually cruise around 100km/h.

- Any suggestions where to best find this universal holder tool? Seeing some ridiculous prices on amazon.

I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, so although these may be simple questions to some of you...I'm a bit new to it.

tks,

J

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: Service and performance related question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:24:37 PM »
Howdy,

- What's the best way to check gear oil? I've changed it and put in as close to 170cc as I could measure (using the volume measurement lines on the oil container). In the manual it says to run the scoot for a few minutes then check...just doesn't say how.

J
That's a good question. I just measure out the gear oil very carefully with a syringe I got from our vet, and just trust that it's good. There should be a little extra in the crank case because I doubt you can drain out every drop when you change, so as long as you don't fill it too full, you should be good to go.
2014 PCH 150 (Matte Black)
Nampa, ID

sunfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:26:43 PM »
Yah just drain and then add the correct amount and it should be ok.
 I have the 2009 RV 250 and when I checked the belt at the first of last season it had hardly any wear and was not cracked so now at 7500 km on the belt I have ordered a new belt from UK to have on hand as they are not available locally. From what I have read they last a long time and I am not even at half its life.
I went with an OEM Mitsubishi belt for my spare  .and will carry it on the scoot.
I have ordered the 22 gram Dr pulley sliders to try out and if I need to lighten them I will remove some weight till they are tuned to my liking. Terrain and rider weight will govern what will be the best weights for the sliders. I have done this before with a set of tuning rollers and a digital scale. I will lighten 3 at a time to begin with and alternate with other sliders as there are 6 in the variator. I have not done this with Dr Pulley sliders so I hope they are easily lightened with a file.
Use an impact tool for the variator nut.
Sunfish
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:36:34 PM by sunfish »

jaybird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:13:42 PM »
Yah just drain and then add the correct amount and it should be ok.
 I have the 2009 RV 250 and when I checked the belt at the first of last season it had hardly any wear and was not cracked so now at 7500 km on the belt I have ordered a new belt from UK to have on hand as they are not available locally. From what I have read they last a long time and I am not even at half its life.
I went with an OEM Mitsubishi belt for my spare  .and will carry it on the scoot.
I have ordered the 22 gram Dr pulley sliders to try out and if I need to lighten them I will remove some weight till they are tuned to my liking. Terrain and rider weight will govern what will be the best weights for the sliders. I have done this before with a set of tuning rollers and a digital scale. I will lighten 3 at a time to begin with and alternate with other sliders as there are 6 in the variator. I have not done this with Dr Pulley sliders so I hope they are easily lightened with a file.
Use an impact tool for the variator nut.
Sunfish

You mind sharing exactly which site in the UK you ordered your sliders from? I've found one in the US on Amazon.com (even have the 20g rollers), but they won't ship to Canada. I have family coming home this summer from Detroit, so I'm thinking about getting them shipped to them...but if there's an option to just ship here that would be preferable.

sunfish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:06:26 PM »
Hey Jaybird I am Canadian to0 eah! The belt was from the UK off ebay and he says he can get all the parts I need for my scoot. His name is havigotwhatyouneed.
 The Dr Pulley sliders came from ebay also shipped from Taiwan from seller  flydieduck0958
I was in Florida last spring and was checking out all the scooter shops and with the exchange it was not worth the trouble or cost so I just order online not that I have had to buy any parts for my RV .
 I just want to try out the Dr Pulley sliders.
I am very impressed with the build quality and expect to get many years of service from this scoot by preforming the regular maintenance.
Sunfish

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:31:19 PM by sunfish »