Author Topic: Scooter's front wheel makes a clicking sound  (Read 3177 times)

isobel

• View Profile
Scooter's front wheel makes a clicking sound
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:26:22 PM »
First of all, hello everyone! I'm very new to the motorcycle/scooter community and the SYM RV250 is my first vehicle I've ever purchased for myself and I couldn't be happier! It's a 2009, brand new, haven't had any issues save one...

I notice that when I use the front brake, the bike makes a odd clicking/scraping sound until it comes to a stop, and occasionally continues the sound once I use the throttle again. Sometimes it doesn't make the sound at all, sometimes it's very faint and a few times it's been a very loud clack clack clack. My boyfriend is guessing that a brake pad might be slightly off, or the plate is grinding against the brake a bit as it's releasing... I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed something similar with their SYM.

I had it taken in for it's 200 mile check up and apparently they checked the brakes and nothing looked wrong. I just feel like a sound like this on any vehicle is generally not a good thing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:23:50 PM by isobel »

whatthejawn

• View Profile
Re: New RV250 makes a scraping sound...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:29:19 AM »
shoulda asked them about it when you went for the checkup. bring it back and let them have a look, see if they mention anything. i know squealing noises are somewhat normal when brake discs/pads aren't properly aligned, but they go away once the brake pad wears out to match the brake discs.. yours sound a bit scarier though

GaryL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »
Isobel -
The front brakes on my RV-250 occasionally make a mild scraping sound.  I suspect that sometimes the brake cylinder does not retract fully, leaving the pads lightly rubbing against the disc.  I've disassembled the brake assembly a couple of times and could not find anything wrong.  The brakes don't get hot, they work fine and there's no sign of excessive wear on the disc, so I just live with the sound (have been for 10,000 miles).  Your situation sounds similar.

If your dealer is not too far away, I'd suggest you take the scoot back and let them check it out to be sure.
Gary
Sym RV-250 - Silver w/Orange Trim - 9,000 miles.
Bali 250 Chinascoot - Bright Yellow - 16,000 miles

isobel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Garyl, what you described sounds closer to what my boyfriend was suspecting (I know my explanation was vague). But I will let the dealer take a look.

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »
I get that sound too. Have been for 23,000 miles on occasion. I believe it's just road dirt/gravel/dust. I would not worry about it. Now if you feel a scaping sensation on your brake lever, left or right while braking, its time to replace the brake pads.
2008 dark grey RV250, 27,000 miles

DavidB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:53:15 PM »
Same sound here, only on certain occasions, but never as distinct as a "click"...more like a point of rotational contact.  It's usually under fairly hard braking.  I'm betting it's either the brake pad(s) being just loose enough to be slightly out of alignment, or the front rotor is prone to a degree of warpage/wave under stress, and the pads don't like it...until the rotor kinda "pops back".  I don't fret over it, but YMMV.

db

57Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:54:47 PM »
Same experience here.  I'd call it more of a "shooka shooka" sound.  I remember another post about front brake noise on this model, from a while back.  Seems like a very common thing.
2008 SYM RV250 (Red) - Fireball

isobel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 12:35:56 AM »
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the replies! Until my next checkup, I'll continue to listen in case it does anything that seems worse or whatnot. As far as actual performance goes, no complaints at all.

RidinDirty

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »
I'm glad to hear that I'm not going crazy because I've been hearing a "clicking" sound from my front wheel for several months.  I've taken it to the local scooter dealer on three separate occasions and they have yet to find anything wrong with it.  They even bled my brakes once but saw no unusual wear on the brakes or the pads.

Basically, I hear the sound (which varies based on my speed) but it then it goes away when I apply the front brake.  The sound is more of a clicking (like baseball cards in bicycle spokes) and not as much of a scraping sound (like metal on metal).  In some cases, I was able to hold the front brake down and it would go away.  Other times it didn't make a difference.

I notice it mostly when I first take off after the scoot has been sitting in the hot sun or after about 30+ minutes of riding after being in the garage.  One time I thought it happened when I went slowly over a speed bump but no matter what I do to try and replicate the problem I can't seem to do it.

My dealer thinks I'm crazy.  I've looked several times in the area and can't find a thing but I'm not an expert.  It's just a little irritating to hear it while cruising in the parking lot.

I have a 08 RV-250 which I bought used back in February.  Other than that odd sound, it's a fantastic scoot.

memadeit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 03:25:05 AM »
Thank you for this post.  Mine got so bad, that its just been sitting in the garage.  Had it from the time I got the bike also.  Everytime I go to take mine in, the sound went away.  The hotter the temp is, with sto pand go traffic, the more it happens.  Thanks for the little tips and thoughts. 

wr125

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the replies! Until my next checkup, I'll continue to listen in case it does anything that seems worse or whatnot. As far as actual performance goes, no complaints at all.

I noticed a similar noise on my Citycom.

Sounded like a belt slapping under acceleration..back off the gas and it goes away.

I pulled the cover off and noticed nothing wrong with the belt. 

I cleaned it out and put it back.

I notice no reduction in performance.

Desliderman

• View Profile
Re: Scooter's front wheel makes a clicking sound
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »
My RV250 has made that noise since it's first 180 miles.  I took it to the dealer a couple of times and they found nothing.  Finally, it started to make it consistantly enough to where they took a look at it.

From what they can tell, it's the brake pads that SYM uses.  After 14000 miles and a little less than 18 months, I've just learned to accept it.

You can clean the brakes till the cows come home and it won't do much good.  You could also buy some new pads or better yet, an aftermarket pad and it may fix the problem.  I've got a new set of fronts that I'm waiting to get installed.  I'm hoping the noise goes away after that.

Don in KC

CaptainKGB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 06:13:47 PM »
Mine was grinding intermittently at first, but after a few long, hot and fast rides it started getting consistent and bad.  I thought my pads were worn out, so I ordered a new set of ebc pads, have not arrived yet.  After a 100 mile 75 mph ride yesterday, I decided to pull the pads and inspect them.  They are no where near wear limit, but everything was caked in brake dust.  I cleaned the rotor and caliper, and cleaned the pads and scuffed the surface with scotchbrite. I also changed the retaining springs to hold the pads in the direction of disc travel.  50 miles of spirited braking later, it is still almost silent without any grinding and the clicking is also gone.

When I get the ebc pads, I will give them a try but am in no hurry to do so now.

My theory on the clicking is that, with the retaining spring pushing on the front of the pads, the pads are pulled back away from the front of the groove they ride in, and when they drag on the a portion of the disk they strike the front of the groove then the spring pulls them back, and as the disc goes around again the same is repeated.
Just something to try.

Regards,
Captainkgb
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:24:21 PM by CaptainKGB »

Ronnie Ventura

• (formerly Uncle Burger)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »
I get that sound too. Have been for 23,000 miles on occasion. I believe it's just road dirt/gravel/dust. I would not worry about it. Now if you feel a scraping sensation on your brake lever, left or right while braking, its time to replace the brake pads.

I'm with Mike on this one. Most likely gravel occasionally getting stuck in the tire grooves and scraping against the fender ... amongst other crap :P

DAK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »
I've got an '08  (I'm third owner BTW) with 4500 miles (per odometer--wonder if it reset itself in the past 4 years? hmmm) that makes a scraping/grinding sound occasionally, too. After reading some of the other replies, makes me believe it is nothing to be overly concerned about (referring to my situation).
Could be your situation too.
Happy trails!