Author Topic: Should I trade up from a 2010 to a 2015 SYMBA?  (Read 224 times)

LisaRae

• View Profile
Should I trade up from a 2010 to a 2015 SYMBA?
« on: April 09, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »
Hi all, 

The SYMBA doctor delivered my friend's Royal Enfield Continental yesterday, and diagnosed my SYMBA as needing a new solenoid for my starter.

He also suggested that I should move up to a 2015 model, since:

SYM is no longer bringing SYMBA to North America
    my SYMBA is working on 18,000 km and will start to need more parts and service
    he has a nice cherry red one in-stock, and could transfer all of my after-market improvements to the new machine

So, thoughts/suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

(I LOVE my SYMBA!)

LisaRae

HelloPitty

• View Profile
Re: Should I trade up from a 2010 to a 2015 SYMBA?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »
Ohhh, that is such a hard choice to make.
In my opinion, it is only about 1/4 into its life.  I'm thinking 40,000 miles as a well worn point, or 64,000km.  Just a random number I came up with because of reading about Underboning's experience (I think they're at around 30,000 miles now).

Member Cam has the WowWow version I think, I wonder how many miles/km are on his?

I don't think anything is improved in the 2015 model...chrome on the blinkers I think, but I don't recall any internal differences being discussed.

Would you keep your first one as a parts bike?  In that scenario I could see buying a new one knowing you'd have lots of parts if ever needed.

Such a hard choice, I'll be interested to read other's opinions.

**Edit to add, the 2015 is a different color red than the 2010.
Also, I hope the dealer would discount it for you as it is a discontinued for North America motorbike.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:04:15 PM by HelloPitty »
2015 SYM Symba * 1981 Honda C70
1982 Honda CT110 * 2006 Vespa LX150
2008 Vespa GTS250 * 02/09 Honda Metropolitans

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »
HelloPitty,

Yes, a hard choice indeed. I just changed the chain, and sprockets last year (both bought from Cam - the larger front sprocket is great for 'around town' riding, as 3rd is just a bit speedier so that it's not always necessary to be in 4th gear). I have replacement blinkers 'ready and waiting' to be installed (in the meantime, popsicle sticks and red electrical tape are keeping the blinker stems under control).

Sadly, neither I nor my motorbiking friend have storage room for a "parts" bike. :-(

I told him what I'd paid for my current SYMBA; forgot to tell him I'd had a 5-year warranty (!). I suspect any savings would be eaten-up by labour on changing-over my chain/sprockets/bench seat/heated hand-grips...

...cherry red *is* appealing... ;-)

LisaRae

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 07:39:44 AM »
Hey LisaRae, I'm just being nosy and wondered if you've given more thought to the trade.

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »
HelloPitty,

Well, I sing in a church choir, so the past weekend's multiple services precluded doing much of anything else!

I must confess that I'm vacillating...the prospect of a new machine appeals, only because I'm not getting any younger (and I hope I have another 10 years of SYMBA ownership and riding ahead of me...). Perhaps that's the biggest consideration for me, and I can afford a new machine (I do not own a car)...and I like SYMBA a lot, because I can handle it easily and well, and can pick it up when it falls over. [Bigger/faster holds little appeal for me.]

If I choose to trade, timing will be an issue - just because the dealer is a couple of hours away, and being w/o my SYMBA is no fun!

And, should I decide to participate in the [url]http://www.madbastardrally.com/[url] MAD BASTARD SCOOTER RALLY, I'd have to ride my current machine, as I'd not have a new one sufficiently broken-in to take-on a 600 km ride...

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 10:00:19 PM »
I clicked on the link you provided to http://www.madbastardrally.com/.
That looks like a lot of fun!  It's funny it says costumes optional, but try to win without one, or something like that, seems like a good time.
If I were closer, I'd do that rally without hesitation.

Like you, I tend to like small motorbikes and for the reasons you mentioned.  I've been buying spare parts here and there in order to keep mine running into the future. 

I can see why you go back and forth on the decision.  There is a part of me that thinks if yours is tried and true, to stick with it.  I've read comments where folks say that if the motorbike has some decent miles on it, it's a proven runner or proven engine.  That is why I don't mind having lots of miles on my bikes...or purchasing some used ones with high mileage.

Sorry to have rambled.  Best to you with your decision.