Author Topic: I need help when I turn my key to on the lights on the speedometer do not light  (Read 370 times)

chaly

• View Profile
I can kick start the bike and it starts easily and as long as the motor is running the speedometer lights,head lights,tail lights,brake lights,horn and blinkers worked.I figured the battery was dead so after replacing it, the same thing still happens but now the blinkers have a very weak horn sound and the horn barely makes a noise.The bike will run fine but I need the signals and horn to work.Please can anybody help me.

petemoss

• View Profile
Behind the front cover just below the headlight are the wires and connectors for the handlebar controls and instrument lights. Pul apart each connector and make sure that they are dry and not corroded. also there might be a ground wire attached to the frame somewhere, make sure that you have a good ground.. most electrical problems can be traced to a poor/corroded ground. Ground wires are normally green colour.
 i'm not at my bike right now, so I can't tell you where else to look. But it sounds to me like you have a bad electrical connection, so I would start checking at the most obvious places.

Good luck, Petemoss
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2011 Royal Enfield Classic 500
2012 Suzuki DL1000 V-Stom
2012 Harley Switchback converted to Trike
2006 Harley Streetglide
2014 Suzuki DR650 and much more

chaly

• View Profile
Thank you so much petemoss, I will try your suggestion and report back.

petemoss

• View Profile
Hey Chaly have you had any luck finding the problem yet?
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2006 Harley Streetglide

chaly

• View Profile
Hi petemoss,
     No I have not found the short but I did find out that there is not 12 volts at the ignition switch so that is why nothing lights up or the horn doesn't make a sound until I kick start the bike.I have never seen so many wires that I have to deal with.Thank you for checking back with me

LisaRae

• View Profile
And you do have lights/horn - once the bike is running?

When I turn my key to the "start" position, the lights on the odometer, and my tail light turn on...I've never tried the horn, at this point, so I don't know about that...

I'm certain that when I first got my SYMBA, the headlight turned-on, as soon as I turned the key... (no one else on the list seemed to agree with me), but after getting blown-over - and killing my first headlight bulb, any subsequent bulbs have not turned-on with the key... [When it DID illuminate, I thought, "Bad for the battery." but when stalled at an intersection, I thought "It'd be HANDY to be more visible!"

Lisa Rae

petemoss

• View Profile
Hi petemoss,
     No I have not found the short but I did find out that there is not 12 volts at the ignition switch so that is why nothing lights up or the horn doesn't make a sound until I kick start the bike.I have never seen so many wires that I have to deal with.Thank you for checking back with me

Remove and check the main fuse. 7 amp. It is along side the battery at the positive connection
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:38:12 PM by petemoss »
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2006 Harley Streetglide