Author Topic: New Symba 100 owner  (Read 2252 times)

petemoss

• View Profile
New Symba 100 owner
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:00:16 PM »
 :) Hi folks, I just purchased a brand new Symba  100 ( Red and white ). it is being shipped to me and I am hoping to have it here by this weekend. I'm pretty excited to be getting and riding this bike, looks like it could be lots of fun and reliable.

A bit about myself; I'm in my mid 50's now, and have owned many bikes in over 35 years of riding. Everything from Harleys, Royal Enfield, Triumph, Moto Guzzi's, Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki's. Currently have a 650 Vstrom in the stable.

Unfortunately I had a loading accident and broke my arm last spring, thus requirering  surgery and having a metal plate and screws put into my arm, I was no longer able to ride my Harley Lowrider. So I sold both her and my Moto Guzzi California Vintage (great bikes and I will miss them ).The heavy weight of these bikes made it pretty difficult for me to maneuver around and just handling the bikes made the arm hurt. So after some thought and soul searching, I decided to get ride of the heavy cruisers and get back to smaller lighter bikes.
Got a smoking deal on a left over 2015 Suzuki Vstrom 650 with saddlebags and trunk and I now have about 1200 kms on her, not a lot as I normally put on around 10-12,000 kms a summer with at least one major bike trip each season. ( yes I like biking  :o)

So anyway, I was looking at getting a small dirt bike to have some fun on some of the trails near by, but I didn't want anything too big and fast, After all I still believe that it's way more fun to ride a small bike fast than a big bike slow. And I wanted something that if I drop, I can easily pick up by myself. So I really started looking at the Honda Trail 90's with auto transmissions and 2 speed gear box, but was really disappointed when I found out that Honda has stop making these for quite some time now. So I started searching for a good used one and did find a few for sale but either they were in very poor shape or they command a ridiculously high price. ( I'm cheap too). so forget that idea. Then I stumbled accross and add for Sym Symba 100 somewhere in my inter web searches, and was pleasantly surprised to find out that they were originally Honda's and that SYM continued to make them under their brand name and used mostly Honda parts but also updated the bike as well. Cool, I was sold. ;)

Then researching about possibly buying one of these retro scoots, I also learned that SYM stopped manufacturing these bikes as well.   :-[

Nothing like having the wind knocked out of your sails eh.

Well I didn't get this old by being lazy and throwing in the towel. So a bunch more inter web searching lead me to: Motorsports Canada. Wow they were advertising the Sym Samba 100 for sale, what they still have some left?? And after a few emails with Mike ( the owner of Motorsports Ca.) and some mulling over it for a few weeks, I decided to take the plunge and purchase one before they were all gone.
Mike was great to deal with and has shipped me a brand spanking new red/white Symba 100. It will need to be assembled, but I can easily handle that task. So I am really looking forward to trying this little gem out and can't wait to get some more bugs in my teeth. ( well not really, but you get the idea ). There is still snow on the ground as I'm pretty far north ( I can see Santa's porch light from my front window ) so I likely won't be able to put some serious milage on her for a few weeks or longer until it warms up and the snow disappears from the streets.

The reason that I joined this forum is to read what everyone says about the bike, good, bad or indifferent and to really learn more about this bike and to hopefully find answers to my questions on her as they arise.

I'll make a feeble attempt to post a picture of her once I get it assembled.

Hope that everybody has a safe and great summer and enjoy ridding your ride, whatever it may be.
Cheers.
Petemoss.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:21:10 AM by petemoss »
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2011 Royal Enfield Classic 500
2012 Suzuki DL1000 V-Stom
2012 Harley Switchback converted to Trike
2006 Harley Streetglide
2014 Suzuki DR650 and much more

HelloPitty

• View Profile
Re: New Samba 100 owner
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:44:08 AM »
Congrats on your purchase.
The Symba is a great bike, I love the retro looks and I love the 12 volt system.
I think one of the best testimonies to the durability comes from this thread of a couple who took their Symbas around the world.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/underboning-the-world-2-symbas-1-couple-no-sense.716979/#post-16645568

There really is a lot of fun to be had on small motorbikes.  For me it brings back childhood memories and I love that.

Looking forward to your photos and welcome!
2015 SYM Symba * 1981 Honda C70
1982 Honda CT110 * 2006 Vespa LX150
2008 Vespa GTS250 * 02/09 Honda Metropolitans

petemoss

• View Profile
Re: New Symba 100 owner
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:32:47 AM »
Thanks Hellopitty, in looking forward to putting some seat time in on the Symba. My very first motorized vehicle was a Mobilette Moped. I went every where on that bike. From work to camping and trail riding. It was fuggly and top speed of 30 mph. But I had a blast on it. I think that the Symba will bring back some of those fond memories for me.

I've read Dabinche ( sp ) report on his trip to Alaska and been reading Underbones travels around the USA and now into Africa. I would say that I'm envious of them all and my plan is to spend my retirement years riding around many countries as well. NZ and Astrallia being at the top. I'm not sure if I would do it on the Symba because of its lack of speed and power. But I'm really considering a 250 cc dual purpose bike for that.

How many miles do you have on yours currently and any issues or things to look out for?

Cheers Petemoss
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2006 Harley Streetglide

Retro Moto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
Many congrats Petemoss and welcome to the club! You made a terrific a choice and I think you'll find this forum very helpful going forward. I have no doubt that your new mighty Symba will turn more heads than the Harley you sold. People find the bike nostalgic and are curious when they see it ride by.   Good luck and enjoy! :)
2015 Symba

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:46:19 PM »
Woot! Congrats, and welcome to the SYMBA forum!

I have a 2010 Red & White Symba. Living in an apartment condo - w/o a car - means that SYMBA occupies my underground parking spot, and whenever the weather turns nice, onto the streets we go!

We just clicked-over 17,171 km this week. The biggest expense for me, has been batteries. I think we're on #4. Now, I've just bought #4, but have yet to install it - not sure HOW the bike runs on a dead battery, but the kick-starter is a wondrous thing.

SYMBA is my only motorbike. I gave-up a 1984 Crown Vic for my SYMBA, and SYMBA has served me very well. (I'd been planning to get an e-bike, but my motorbiking sweetie convinced me that I needed to be able to "keep up with traffic.")

LisaRae

petemoss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 06:40:46 AM »
17,000 that's impressive LisaRae. That is a lot of seat time. You shouldn't be going through that many batteries as 5 years seams to be about average for most motorcycle batteries. If you pick up a battery tender/maintainer and keep it charged when you're not ridding, especially during winter months, it should extended the live of the battery. It's also quite possible that you have a faulty charging system that is not allowing the battery to be fully charged while riding.
Harley's were terrible for killing batteries while the bikes aren't being ridden for a while. They have built in alarms that are constantly searching for the key fob. Do over time they would slowly use up the power in the battery to where the bike wouldn't start. So I started using battery tenders on all my vehicles with batteries including my Toyota truck.
Are you still on the original tires and chain?
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2006 Harley Streetglide

petemoss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 06:43:20 AM »
Thanks Retro Moto I'm looking forward to riding her.

Many congrats Petemoss and welcome to the club! You made a terrific a choice and I think you'll find this forum very helpful going forward. I have no doubt that your new mighty Symba will turn more heads than the Harley you sold. People find the bike nostalgic and are curious when they see it ride by.   Good luck and enjoy! :)
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2006 Harley Streetglide

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 07:36:13 AM »
...You shouldn't be going through that many batteries as 5 years seams to be about average for most motorcycle batteries. If you pick up a battery tender/maintainer and keep it charged when you're not ridding, especially during winter months, it should extended the live of the battery. It's also quite possible that you have a faulty charging system
Are you still on the original tires and chain?

Ah, well, one battery I didn't check often enough, and the water level went too low - mea culpa. I don't have any way to plug-in a battery tender in my parking spot, as there are no electrical outlets (parking garage). When I do need to charge it, or put it on a tender, it has to go to my friend's...inconvenient!

On my 2nd set of tires - Michelin Gazelles (slightly larger), and just installed a new chain last summer.

LisaRae

beltho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »
Welcome petemoss!  The Symba is a wonderful little bike.  I've had mine also five years and recently hit 10K miles.  We moved from Minnesota to Florida a few years back and both the Symba and I are enjoying the year-round riding.  I put in a new sealed battery a little while back (just my 2nd battery) after the last one died, likely because I wasn't topping it off often enough.  The constant sunshine has its drawbacks!  ;D

Good luck getting yours assembled and enjoy!
Atlantic Beach, FL
2012 SYM Symba
2009 Kymco People 150
1983 Honda CT 110

petemoss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 10:41:56 AM »
Well the new Symba 100 arrived at the transport company as promised. She arrived in a cardboard box on a pallet, to which a fork lift operator proceeded to load her on the back of my buddy/neighbour's flat deck truck. Where we then unloaded it into his heated garage. ( did I mention that he was a good buddy ).
There, we uncrated the Motorsickle and I was happy to find the the bike made the journey across Canada without any injury. :)
We assembled the bits and pieces onto the bike as per no included instructions. Hey were a couple of guys, we wouldn't have read them anyways. Checked the tires ( low ) and topped them up, checked the oil, filled and charged the battery and installed the battery. OK Instructions here would have been nice, or even just a picture of the battery leads position. I guess that I must have a way of looking at things upside down, luckily my neighbour has better upside right vision and installed the leads with the wires coming from the bottom. Who would have though ? ::)

Then we filled the fuel tank with a couple of litres of liquid gold. Now was the moment we were both waiting for. Seeing that I've owned a few Harleys in y days and he still has a loud fast one in his garage, we were anticipating a nice low end rumble from the single cylinder engine. No, we weren't drinking beer, its just a guy thing.
Anyhow, I hit the starter button..... Nothing : ??? WTF? Oh yeah, safety interlock switch, pull in the break lever first. ( I guess that's where reading the owners manual comes into play, but I do remember reading about this somewhere on this forum, so I'm not the first  ;D )
So, ok lets try this again, the proper way. Turn on the ignition, pull in the break lever, neutral light is lit, K hit da starter button........ Bike turns over but she no start. Hmmmm, ok time to pull out the manual. 8) Manual say if bike sit for long time with no gas in it, hit starter button, no touch throttle and bike will start. K, Nope she spins over but won't even attempt to start.

So, lets check if fuel is getting to the carb. Undid the float drain screw and liquid gold running out onto the floor, crap get a container catch more liquid, wipe up mess on the floor. Try again, she spins but she no start. :(
Ok 3 things needed to make engine run, Fuel, Air and spark. We got fuel, so lets check for spark.
Pulled sparkie and plugged hi tension lead to sparkie, ground out sparkie to frame and hit start button. No spark.  :(, Checked sparkie's gap, a little small, so gapped a little larger .7 mm as per spec. Now try, ok sparkie now giving us bright blue spark. ok, put sparkie back into engine, lets try this again. Engine spins but still won't start. :-\ Seriously?
Phone call to dealer where I purchased from, he no answer, left message asking for a call back and some ideas. He no call me back. >:(
 Ok back to square one, 3 things needed to make engine run. we have spark and we have fuel so lets check the air filter. Well holly crap! Who came up with this contraption of an air box? Finally managed to check filter, is good, re-assemble contraption to similar looking contraption before we took apart. ???
K, now what? Well lets see, I'm thinking  :P we have fuel, air and spark, maybe not enough fuel?
Maybe the fuel cap is faulty and not allowing for fuel to flow freely? Vacuum locked?
Ok, so I remove the gas cap and try again. This time we both have our fingers crossed. Nope still won't start. :(
Time for a break.

Break over, back to work. or troubleshooting. some search on line shows that the fuel vacuum petcock can stay stuck open and cause flooding issues. Hmmm if it can stay stuck open then it can stay stuck closed too. So my little brain had a big brain fart. ;D, removed gas cap, blow into gas tank to pressurize fuel system. Hit da starter and voila! Thunderin Jesus we have live, the little engine that could, Did! She fired right up! But, only ran for about 5 seconds. Ok we are getting some where now. Lips over fuel filler blow steady ..... ( now get your minds out of the gutter, it's not that fun). Hit starter button, and she fires right up but still only runs for a few seconds. Try again and again, same thing dies aft I let pressure in the tank drop. K this is getting old and I can't see myself riding down the road for 30 feet, hopping off of the bike, blowing the fuel tank, start the bike, lower the seat and hop on fro 30 more feet.
Anyway, I know what the problem is so now have to look at some solutions. Unfortunately it is going to involve removing the fuel tank and fuel diaphragm. I'm thinking that I will somehow disable this crappy invention and put a manual petcock somewhere in the fuel line.
That was last night, woke up this morning, looking outside having my coffee and writing this, the ground outside is completely covered in snow. I guess that it snowed through out the night. So no big rush to get little Symba out today. 
Wish me luck! Any ideas would also be welcomed.

2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2006 Harley Streetglide

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 11:58:11 AM »
Good luck, you're almost there!
Your thread is at a good time for me.
My two Symbas have been stored for the winter and I am now working on the first one getting the carb jets cleaned out.
I am going to put a manual petcock on both of them.

I read about them here.
http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=936.15

petemoss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 10:22:39 AM »
So after almost two days of trouble shooting the whole fuel and vacuum system on the new bike, we found that the vacuum operated fuel petcock was faulty and not allowing enough fuel flow to the carburetor. I removed this contraption and installed a manually operated fuel petcock. Also I had to dissemble and clean the jets and fuel passages in the carb. The bike is a 2015 model so who knows how long fuel has been sitting in the carb.

So the bikes fires right up and will fast idle for a few minutes and then idle down to proper speed. I found the air/fuel adjustment screw head was cut off, I assume from the factory. I was able to remove the screw and cut a slot into it with a hacksaw blade. Now, I'm able to properly adjust the mixture. Also while we were at it, we completely removed all of the anti pollution garbage attached to this small engine, plugging off most vent lines. The only vent line that need to be open is a small inlet at the front side of the carburetor. The engine will stall out if this is plugged. We also installed a new fuel line from the fuel tank vent and ran this line towards the bottom of the bike.
I haven't been able to take it out for a spin yet as the license office needs to see the bike and verify the VIN number 🙄

Sorry no pictures yet. Haven't figured out that function works yet.
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2006 Harley Streetglide

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 11:39:55 AM »
Yes, that air/fuel mixture screw is not necessarily cut off, I think it uses some kind of "D" screwdriver.
Mine was glued on as to not tamper with it.
I cleaned of the glue, then like you, cut a slit in it to allow me to adjust it.

Thanks to your timely posts, they have rekindled my love of my Symbas.  They've been put away for winter.
One has the inline petcock now.

Both are purring like kittens.

Here's a good thread to read.
http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=11946.msg38749#msg38749
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:42:09 AM by HelloPitty »

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »
So, petemoss,

Where in Canada are you located?

Sounds like your SYMBA will soon be ready to roll...if the weather cooperates!

Mine? Well, I installed a new battery yesterday, and it started with the starter - ONCE. So, it's back to the kick-starter for me.

My local dealer closed-shop the year after I bought my SYMBA, and I've not tried any of the local motorbike shops, although I do buy batteries and tires from Inglis Cycle...one of the younger guys expressed interest in SYMBA during one of my visits.

Otherwise, probably the nearest dealer/repair shop is in Acton, just outside of Toronto - Old Vintage Cranks. My motorbiking friend has a new Royal Enfield to pick up from them one day soon...and SYMBA may have to tag-along for a diagnosis/repairs.

LisaRae

petemoss

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »
Hi LisaRae, I'm up in Fort McMurray, Alberta. No Symba dealers up here. I always do my own service and repair on my bikes. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but been wrenching on them since 81.
I booked this Friday off so I'm hoping to get the plates for the bike and get it out for a ride. Forecast is calling for +14c. 😎

As far as your bike is concerned, you can easily check the output of the alternator of your bike. Using a DC voltmeter ( cheap to purchase these days), test the voltage across the battery terminals. Remember to observe the polarity. You should have around 12.8 volts DC with the key in the off position. Then start your bike ( electric or kick start), with the voltmeter still attached to the battery, increase the RPM of the Symba, the voltage should start to increase. Ie; RPM increase=Voltage increases. About 1/2 to 3/4 throttle should be enough.
If the voltage increases ( should max out about 13.5 volts), then the alternator is doing its job. If you don't see an increase in the voltage then there is a problem with the charging system. If voltage goes way up to like 16 volts or higher then you also have a charging system issue.

If you do a google search on YouTube, you should be able to find some quick tutorials on how to perform these tests. Otherwise have the dealer that is selling the RE have a quick look at it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:58:07 PM by petemoss »
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2006 Harley Streetglide