Author Topic: lot's of issues  (Read 986 times)

T6R

• View Profile
lot's of issues
« on: February 27, 2017, 07:55:37 PM »
Hey guys, i'm having several issues with my brand new wolf. I've had it two days, and it broke down on my second ride, less than 12 hours after i left the dealer(i'm pretty steamed)
The first issue i'm having is the gearing binds up. Going from first to second sometimes results in being stuck in neutral and requires me to downshift, then upshift again. In relation to the gearing i also noticed that while holding in the clutch downshifting into first gear while still moving causes something to catch on something. it's hard to explain.
The second issue i'm having is the bike won't stay running. after about 2-3 minutes of riding it acts like it's running out of fuel, and stalls. At this point it's very hard to start. It also doesn't seem to like idling/warming up because i can't keep it running long enough to warm up.
I also had another strange issue. The engine would die when pulling in the clutch.
Any Ideas? I've had it for three days and it left me stranded for 4 hours already. It's already worse than my old moped, and that was pretty bad to begin with.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:05:56 PM by T6R »

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
Re: lot's of issues
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 08:32:55 PM »
Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.
Get the dealer to address the issues. If you start messing with it you may null the warranty.

My Wolf's shifting was a little "notchy" in the beginning but it has smoothed out over time.
Find what oil the dealer used to fill the engine -  a lot of us use diesel oil 15W-40 ( eg: Shell Rotella T).

Many of us have had to clean the carburetor before the bike ran correctly. The dealer should do that if required.

Let us know what you find.
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 09:20:33 PM »
I noticed the same stickiness in the lower gears when I first got my Wolf.  This was also my first motorcycle and I think part of the issue might have been due to my inexperience.  I think I was downshifting into first just a little too soon in the early days, where I should have been just about at a complete stop before doing it.  Better habits there and plenty of oil changes and good break in time later and this is no longer an issue for me.  I think that "something caught" feeling when downshifting to first might just be a feel of this bike because I think I notice that too but it doesn't appear to be a problem. 

The Wolf has definite sweet spots with the choke when warming up.  Mine won't turn over when the choke is pulled all the way out.  I pull it all the way out, and then slowly push it in while holding down the starter until it starts to fire up.  Keep the choke there and rev it to 3-4k for about 30 seconds.  If it starts to stutter close to the 30 second mark go ahead and push it in till its about a 1/4 of the way out and keep revving it to around 3-4k for another 30 seconds.  After that you can usually push it all the way in and it should run just fine.  Sometimes I do these for a little more than 30 seconds, you start to get a feel for it. 

Pulling in the clutch killing the engine is new to me.  That's definitely unusual.  I'd follow Papa Bear's advice and definitely take it into the shop to see what's up.  The warranty is good for stuff like this.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:22:13 PM by _codybarker_ »

IB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 12:09:01 PM »
I would agree this is not normal. I just got a 2017 wolf and have had 0 issues. You will get a feel for the choke it is definitely not all the way out or the bike will not stay started. Mine is a little clunky wth shifting but really not that bad I have had it go into neutral when shifting to second several times that's annoying but it does get better. Maybe clutch cable needs adjusted? Have the dealer do it. FYI I have been riding every day in the 20-30 degree weather and mine starts up right away wth the choke on and I turn it off after 10 seconds of idling, I don't do any of the revving previously mentioned. Also don't give up on her these bikes are super reliable my last one was the most reliable bike I have ever owned and I put a ton of miles on it.
2017 Sym Wolf Classic

1986 Honda VF500F  Street fighter!

ktran

• View Profile
    • Suspended Seconds
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
Hey guys, i'm having several issues with my brand new wolf. I've had it two days, and it broke down on my second ride, less than 12 hours after i left the dealer(i'm pretty steamed)
The first issue i'm having is the gearing binds up. Going from first to second sometimes results in being stuck in neutral and requires me to downshift, then upshift again. In relation to the gearing i also noticed that while holding in the clutch downshifting into first gear while still moving causes something to catch on something. it's hard to explain.
The second issue i'm having is the bike won't stay running. after about 2-3 minutes of riding it acts like it's running out of fuel, and stalls. At this point it's very hard to start. It also doesn't seem to like idling/warming up because i can't keep it running long enough to warm up.
I also had another strange issue. The engine would die when pulling in the clutch.
Any Ideas? I've had it for three days and it left me stranded for 4 hours already. It's already worse than my old moped, and that was pretty bad to begin with.

1. Get it looked at. That's what warranties are for. My guess is probably a carburetor cleaning and clutch cable adjustment is in order. Is this a motorcycle shop, or do they mostly do automatic transmissions scooters?

2. When you're shifting, a lot of bikes don't like it when you do "stacked downshifting," and this can sometimes lead to false neutrals. So, instead of holding in the clutch and downshifting all the way to first, go down one gear at a time, and "blip" the throttle with the clutch in, before letting the clutch out to engage the lower gear. Matching revs this way is better for the engine, and develops your shifting skills.

In the end, too much or too little free play in the clutch cable might be your first culprit. The Wolf is a super basic bike, and there's never really too much that can go wrong.

BeebBobE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »
bike not set up properly at dealership before sending it on the road with you, possible clutch misadjustment, carb needs cleaning, especially if they did not start the bike everyday before they sold it, should have been addressed at the dealer before the bike left the shop, jmho
Ride like a Klingon....

T6R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 05:07:55 PM »
Thanks guys for the responses. i'll contact the dealer and setup an appointment. @kTran, yeah the wolf is the only bike that has multiple gears that they carry. I'll have the dealer clean the carb. too much emissions control stuff for me to want to mess with it too much. Is there a detailed video somewhere on the removal of that stuff?

martivltori

• City By The Lake Of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »
There is a good thread here about desmogging. Easy to do and well worth it in my opinion. Makes it so much easier to work on the motor and also don't have to worry about getting gas in the canister and getting stranded.

http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=1510.0
-----------------------------------------
2015 SYM Wolf 150
2015 Suzuki GW250F
1972 Honda CB350

T6R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 02:26:27 PM »
So guys, does anyone ride in real cold weather? I'm used to riding around in weather thats below 40. Everything is stock, it will fire, but it never stays running. I can be out there trying for 15 minutes and it'll start, stall, start stall, and chug away. It doesn't seem to have an issue with 50+. Any ideas?

ktran

• View Profile
    • Suspended Seconds
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »
So guys, does anyone ride in real cold weather? I'm used to riding around in weather thats below 40. Everything is stock, it will fire, but it never stays running. I can be out there trying for 15 minutes and it'll start, stall, start stall, and chug away. It doesn't seem to have an issue with 50+. Any ideas?

Carburetors are temperature-sensitive, for sure. Assuming your carburetor is clean, you should be able to start it and find a position on the choke that will keep it running from start (you have to experiment). In this weather, you will want to let it idle and warm up for a good few minutes before setting off.

Now, if your idle jet is clogged/dirty, then that will affect your idle and slow speed running. You said you were going to have your dealer look at the carburetor, so that's a good place to start. You can also tune your idle mixture to run better in the winter, but that is *guaranteed* to throw off your running conditions in the summer, and lead to stalling and fouling plugs there.

So, to sum up:

1. make sure your carburetor is clean and well-adjusted
2. if you're starting in really cold weather, find a position on the choke slide that will let your engine run. You have to experiment to find it, and it'll be different on different days depending on temperature. After your engine has warmed up, it will run with no choke.

iblastoff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 05:16:18 PM »

below 40 fahrenheit? i've ridden in 5 fahrenheit (about -15 degrees celcius) and it has not stalled, especially while already moving. only issue i've ever had is just keeping it idle on initial start in the cold. but after it heats up its good to go.

T6R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 05:31:40 PM »

Carburetors are temperature-sensitive, for sure. Assuming your carburetor is clean, you should be able to start it and find a position on the choke that will keep it running from start (you have to experiment). In this weather, you will want to let it idle and warm up for a good few minutes before setting off.

Now, if your idle jet is clogged/dirty, then that will affect your idle and slow speed running. You said you were going to have your dealer look at the carburetor, so that's a good place to start. You can also tune your idle mixture to run better in the winter, but that is *guaranteed* to throw off your running conditions in the summer, and lead to stalling and fouling plugs there.

So, to sum up:

1. make sure your carburetor is clean and well-adjusted
2. if you're starting in really cold weather, find a position on the choke slide that will let your engine run. You have to experiment to find it, and it'll be different on different days depending on temperature. After your engine has warmed up, it will run with no choke.

Every bike i have had i've always started with the choke on. I've been playing with the choke, but it's doing things that don't seem normal. i'll have to bring it to the dealer to see if the carb is clogged/dirty.

T6R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 05:33:42 PM »

below 40 fahrenheit? i've ridden in 5 fahrenheit (about -15 degrees celcius) and it has not stalled, especially while already moving. only issue i've ever had is just keeping it idle on initial start in the cold. but after it heats up its good to go.
So i had a thought, i'm running whatever oil that came with it, in it. It's got 59 miles on the odometer. ( i do still have a warrenty) Should i run a thinner oil like 5W30(just an example) in it when it's cold out? Maybe the reason the engine doesn't seem to want to run is because the oil that's in it doesn't get to temperature fast enough?

iblastoff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 05:51:28 PM »
So i had a thought, i'm running whatever oil that came with it, in it. It's got 59 miles on the odometer. ( i do still have a warrenty) Should i run a thinner oil like 5W30(just an example) in it when it's cold out? Maybe the reason the engine doesn't seem to want to run is because the oil that's in it doesn't get to temperature fast enough?

in the summer i run Rotella T4 15w40 and Castrol 10w30 during the cooler months. i've not tried a thinner oil than 10w30.

T6R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »

in the summer i run Rotella T4 15w40 and Castrol 10w30 during the cooler months. i've not tried a thinner oil than 10w30.
i'll have to see if the dealer knows what came in it stock.  Does anyone happen to know of a manual for the engine itself?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:44:14 PM by T6R »