Author Topic: New owner observations  (Read 647 times)

• View Profile
New owner observations
« on: February 25, 2017, 06:52:31 PM »
1st fill up at 95 miles at put in 1.304 gallons of gas, forgot to put in 90 unleaded and put in 87. Comes to 72mpg. Not sure if the bike really calls for 90 gas, probably a Taiwan gas conversion error.

The gas gauge at 1.304 gallons used was near empty. The HD holds 2.11 gallons. Not the most accurate gas gauge.

The tires are pretty awful. No turn in feel or any kind of sporty feel to them. Being that I just got a new bike decided to just replace the front with Pirelli Diablo in stock size.

Very Plush suspension. Steering is up in the air, I have feeling the stock Duros are really hold things back.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:22:03 PM by 87112 »

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
Re: New owner observations
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 09:33:47 PM »
I honestly had never heard of Duro before owning my HD, but I haven't had any kind of issue with them. I take the highway exchanges at higher speeds on my HD than on my Scarabeo because I've actually developed more trust in the Duros than in the Avons that are on my Scarabeo. I live in FL and wet weather traction is very important to someone who lives here and rides fulltime like I do, and the Duros have never given me a moment to doubt them. Just my 2 cents on the tires.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 02:37:42 AM »
After they got a couple years on them, & in any turn involving a fair bit of lean the duro's get a bit sketchy IMHO.
I now have two with City Grips on 'em and there is seriously no comparison for PNW weather.
Perhaps in the hotter Florida, or Taiwanese weather they do better, but out here the difference is night and day.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:05:20 PM »
After they got a couple years on them, & in any turn involving a fair bit of lean the duro's get a bit sketchy IMHO.
I now have two with City Grips on 'em and there is seriously no comparison for PNW weather.
Perhaps in the hotter Florida, or Taiwanese weather they do better, but out here the difference is night and day.
I agree, when I finally changed out the Duros (they do last a long time!) for CityGrips, I couldn't believe how comfortable turns could be.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 04:31:46 PM »
I was thinking of waiting for the FI HD2 to come to the USA but after a lot of google pics I decided I like the current body style better so I pulled the trigger on it. The area where you put your feet seems more comfortable on the old model, the new model has angles where you can't stretch out. I am 5 feet 6 so I just have to scoot back and I have some legroom. Plus the console of the new model looks too bulky. Here is a good pic of the bikes from the rider's view.
http://www.asso-scooter.org/IMG/jpg/dsc_2953-s.jpg
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:07:56 AM by 87112 »

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 01:35:57 AM »
Far as 87 vs "90" octane goes I agree.  That's the usual difference between RON & R+M/2 with the latter being what we use in the U.S.
I've debated pinging Alliance to see if they have the original doc they got 90 from, but so far haven't.
With rare exception I run 87, think I got ping once on a bad tank of gas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 08:41:13 PM »
I think mine actually gets better mpgs on 87. Certainly no worse.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 10:51:54 PM »
I think mine actually gets better mpgs on 87. Certainly no worse.
Possible.  Octane is about control, not power in a direct fashion. I think the way it works out you actually have less potential energy in it, but, if your vehicle is setup for it, you can use it more efficiently due to higher compression, & tuning.  Read about it a bit but really ain't no engineer.
Either way it comes down to if ya ain't pinging you're probably wasting money with the higher octane stuff.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Northpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 05:06:16 PM »
We really got into octane rating, and the relative merits/demerits of regular U.S. gas vs. higher octane blends in the HD 200, a few years ago.  I finally reached the engineers at the factory, and they definitely confirmed that regular gas was just fine, and higher octane blends unnecessary.  Regular is what I have used consistently since then with no problems, and no noticeable detonation (ping).  Also, please be aware that octane rating has nothing to do with the inherent energy in the fuel.  It only refers to the resistance to detonation -- higher octane rating = more resistance to detonation.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong or damaging using higher octane gas, and if it makes you feel better, go for it.  Just unnecessary.
2009 SYM HD200

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 01:20:49 AM »
One of the most common misperceptions of higher octane fuels is that they are "cleaner". I think some people believe they are more highly refined, but that's not the case. They are exactly the same fuel at first, but then chemicals are added to suppress knock. A higher octane fuel does NOTHING to maintain the cleanliness of your fuel system in relevance to the lower octane fuel. If your vehicle doesn't have a specific need for higher octane, then you are just throwing away money by going with the higher octane rating. I worked in the fuel retail  industry for a while and I can assure you that the term "grade" was applied to fuel in order to get uninformed drivers to spend money on the higher cost fuel. Just an fyi.

david23

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »
The higher octane is just a waste of money I always use 87 on all my vehicles As far as the tires, I've had good luck with the stock tires and the rear one lasted until about 13,000 miles I replaced it with the Michelin tire and I know it's going to last much longer than the original one did

The key to tire safety and longevity is to check and adjust the tire pressure when the tire is cold Use a quality tire gauge and check them daily It might seem a bit extreme, but it makes a difference in the long run Good luck and ride with a lot of care Goodbye

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »
--As far as the tires, I've had good luck with the stock tires and the rear one lasted until about 13,000 miles I replaced it with the Michelin tire and I know it's going to last much longer than the original one did..

I had no gripe with the longevity of the OEM tire, indeed it was replaced due to age, not miles.
What I found when I replaced it was that the City Grips had a much better ride in pretty much all ways vs. the OEM, even when the OEM was as new as I rode it (couple years old).  This is notable particularly in the rain and when cornering.  Both important things here in the Pacific Northwet.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650