Author Topic: Just Saying  (Read 1442 times)

Jim C

• View Profile
Just Saying
« on: February 15, 2017, 09:04:40 AM »
A little intro, I am an old guy and I have just purchased a red and white Symba. I am a former motorcycle rider always big bikes my smallest was a 350 the largest 1000cc. I have been building gas powered and electric bikes for a few years. My wife rides a 3 wheeler with a electric hub motor I built for her. I ran across this Symba with less that 1400 miles on it and bought it. I am still wondering why except it is so darn cute.
I am having some trouble adjusting to the shifting of this little scoot. There is something wrong with me or it. I am ok with the power and I love the looks but the shifting may take the enjoyment away from wht appears to be a well thought out scooter.

Tromper

• View Profile
Re: Just Saying
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:31:36 PM »
Basically a knock off of the most common vehicle in the world, the honda cub and variants.
I've long thought they were nifty, & the shifting would be bonus, but they're about 10-20 mph too slow for my needs.  I live in the suburbs and you need to be able to do 50, preferably 60mph, with enough motor to spare to zip to run on the main drag in my neck o' the wold.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

IB

• View Profile
Re: Just Saying
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:59:36 PM »
Jim- Can you get into what kind of issues you are having? I own 4 bikes currently and have owned many in the past from Sport bikes, to dirt, to cruisers, and now my wife has a Symba. I can tell you that she does NOT use the heel toe shift. Something is weird about it, I love the heel toe on my bike but on hers it just doesn't work right, I adjusted it so that it is all toe. When I ride it i don't really down shift to bring myself to a stop. This eliminates the jerkiness of it. I have figured out how to downshift but by the time you are able to the engine is running so much slower its not really worth it. My wife struggled with it so I just told her to brake to stop then down shift quickly to the gear she wants. She no longer has problems.
As for the previous comment about the Symba being a knockoff and the bike being to slow you may want to do a little research on it. Sym manufactured those " honda cub variants" for HONDA. These are by no means knockoff motors. Second I can very quickly get my wife's Symba up to 50 with out it even hesitating and I am 6'2" ,190lbs. Once she is more comfortable on it I have no doubt she will be able to do much faster.
Anyway Jim hope this helps, report back with any other issues. Also if you get to the point where you just can't do the Symba then it may mean you need to go to the wolf. I ride one and love it. 
2017 Sym Wolf Classic

1986 Honda VF500F  Street fighter!