Author Topic: Symba Battery  (Read 1168 times)

Rhashad

• View Profile
Symba Battery
« on: January 13, 2017, 06:09:48 AM »
Where can I order a batter for the Symba110 and what kind should I get? Also, does anyone use a particular kind of jack for lifting their Symba when doing maintenance and repairs, like tire and oil change for example? Thanks ahead of time!

beltho

• View Profile
Re: Symba Battery
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 08:47:58 AM »
I just bought and installed the battery found here (first posted on another thread):
http://www.batterymart.com/p-agm-yb5lb-sealed-agm-battery.html

It's inexpensive enough that I thought I'd try a sealed battery.  I can confirm it fits, and, in fact, seems if anything to be slightly smaller than the stock battery.  I only put it in a few days ago, but so far my Symba is starting on the first or second try again with the electric start.  I'd reached a point with my old battery where I was kickstarting all the time, so it's nice to have that working again.  As an added bonus, the battery came with free shipping - they sent it via FedEx and I received it in just a couple of days.  I've never had free shipping get to me that quickly! ;D
Atlantic Beach, FL
2012 SYM Symba
2009 Kymco People 150
1983 Honda CT 110

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:14:02 AM »
Hi Rhashad,

If you're still in Toronto, buying a battery online (from the USA) will be $$$ with additional shipping charges. (Frequently higher than the price of the part.)

Any local motorcycle and scooter shops will be able to supply the appropriate battery for your Symba. The biggest issue, is size of the battery 'cage' on Symba, as there's no extra room for anything other than the stock-size of battery.

I've bought at least 2 batteries from Inglis cycle.

http://www.ingliscycle.com/eshopprod_cat_9807-108634_product_2188949.YUASA_CONVENTIONAL_AND_YUMICRON_BATTERIES.htm

There will be dealers in Toronto. (To be sure to get the right one, take the old battery with you.)

LisaRae
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:00:45 PM by LisaRae »

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 11:49:49 AM »
There's supposed to be a Symba dealer in Scarborough - 416-265-1765 Heavy Duty Cycles, on Kingston Rd. Try giving them a shout!

LisaRae

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »
Thanks @LisaRae and @beltho for the information! Although, I don't live in Canada @LisaRae, I think I might look into the advice given and go with a local dealer, but the battery that @beltho had seemed like a great fit and I might just go with that. Thanks again!

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
Duh - sorry Rhashad - WHY did I think you are in Toronto?!?

Let us know how you make out with the sealed battery!

LisaRae
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:00:25 PM by LisaRae »

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 05:26:47 PM »
LOL @LisaRae, no worries. Thanks again!!

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:09:07 PM »
My battery finally arrived today! I went ahead and bout the one @beltho recommended and it got here quick! I've never removed nor installed a battery on a Symba before so hopefully it's not too complex! Thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:50:30 AM by Rhashad »

beltho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 03:18:06 PM »
Yeah, I was impressed at how quickly my battery arrived (in 2 days even with the free shipping option). Changing the battery out is pretty easy. Disconnect the negative terminal first, then the positive. Hook up the new battery in the opposite order. Hope it works well for you!
Atlantic Beach, FL
2012 SYM Symba
2009 Kymco People 150
1983 Honda CT 110

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 01:52:08 PM »
Good News: I just finished installing my battery today and my old battery was indeed dead. When I started up my bike with the electric starter it came right on!

Bad News: Come to find out, the battery wasn't entirely the problem for my bike not starting up and reving. After reading the forum a bit more, I realized that my carbs have to be cleaned! My bike was sitting up in my garage for like 3 months with the same gas stationary in it the whole time! I'm sure that has to be the problem, I've done everything else. I also found out that adding new gas to the old gas doesn't help at all either lol. Comes up, idles for a few moments then cuts off.

I read the particular post illustrating how to clean the carbs of the Symba, but I'm still hitting a road block, can someone post a video tutorial or at least picture illustrations as to how to properly drain the gas on a Symba, clean out the carbs of the Symba so that the bike will purrrrr again and rev up?! Here's the sourced link below. Thanks in advance!

link to post: http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=11830.msg36311;topicseen#msg36311
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:19:21 PM by Rhashad »

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »
So, Rhashad,

How is the sealed battery working for you?

LisaRae

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 05:52:06 PM »
The battery works fine! Just need to clean my carbs lol, still haven't cleaned them due to the intimidation of the job and disassembly. I have to soon though, weather is getting warmer and there has been a lot of motorcycles out. I want to ride mines toO!

petemoss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »
Rhashad, cleaning out the carburetor is relatively easy to do. There are tons of good videos out there showing how to do it. Just google search scooter carburetor cleaning. Make sure to wear goggles and gloves as carb cleaner fluid is nasty stuff. So you would need a can of carburetor cleaner and a can of compressed air ( easily attainable from most computer repair depots).
Drain the float bowl ( small flat blade screw located on RH side of the carburetor, below the idlespeed screw. Remove the carb from the engine and sit it on a clean paper towel. Flip the carb over and remove the 4 Philips head screws. Remove float cover. Here you will see two jets ( idle and high speed jets), unscrew one of the jets, wearing goggles, spread carb cleaner into the jet. Then spray compressed air through the jet. Hold it up to the light and you should be able to look through it. Like your looking into a tunnel. Spray carb cleaner into the hole where the jet came from and you should see some spray come out of a port in the main throttle body. Then finish with compressed air. Re-install the jet and proceed to do the same with the next jet.

The float is easily removed by sliding the visible shinny pin out to one side. The needle will be attached to the float. Check the needle rubber. It should be intact. Clean ports with cleaner followed by compressed air. The other thing to disassemble is the enrichner or also called by-starter. This is held in place by 2 Philips screw and a c shaped retainer. Pull the enrichner out of the carburetor and inspect the tip of the plunger ( needle), clean the ports ( passages) the same way as the jets. Reassemble the enrichner and secure with retainer and screws.
Reinstall the carburetor and it is also important to install the air box and any vacuum lines that you may have removed to remove the carb.
Now the high speed setting screw should be about 1-1/2 turns out.
Crank over the engine, it may take a few minutes for fuel to fill up the float bowl. Only run the starter for 5 seconds at a time or you could burn it out. Don't touch the throttle as the enrichner will be open and will allow fuel into the starting fuel circuit. The bike should start. It may run erratic for a minute or so then settle down to an even speed. Once it's warmed up after about 5 minutes you may need to adjust the fast idle screw.
Also try to have fresh gas in the fuel tank
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:38:19 PM by petemoss »
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2011 Royal Enfield Classic 500
2012 Suzuki DL1000 V-Stom
2012 Harley Switchback converted to Trike
2006 Harley Streetglide
2014 Suzuki DR650 and much more

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 11:30:04 AM »
Update.

Took my carb apart, even though I was extremely intimidated! Bought some carb cleaner, disassembled the carb step by step while watching a youtube tutorial, thoroughly cleaned my carb; even though it didn't really seem that dirty to me, put everything back together AND...... Now, my bike won't even start up at all, it just click, click, click, click, click lol! Well, I tried... Thanks for the advice though either way! I gotta find a shop here in Georgia. I've been calling around, but still have yet to find a decent dealer that can work on my bike. Trial and error, I'll figure out the right way next time!

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »
Will it start with the kick starter?
2015 SYM Symba * 1981 Honda C70
1982 Honda CT110 * 2006 Vespa LX150
2008 Vespa GTS250 * 02/09 Honda Metropolitans