Author Topic: Grinding sound coming from chain  (Read 383 times)

UnoriginalGMan

• View Profile
Grinding sound coming from chain
« on: January 02, 2017, 11:18:25 AM »
It's most noticeable in 4th gear, while slowing down. Starting at 35mph and putters out around 30 I hear this horrible grinding sound like somebody is just rubbing a serrated knife inside the chain cover. I checked and there's no slack, and my sprockets are fine. I've also lost considerable power, I'm having a hard time getting TO 50mph and anything past there is a struggle but I haven't checked my clutch yet.

I really appreciate all the help this community has given me with all my questions and problems

motox22a

• View Profile
Re: Grinding sound coming from chain
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »
Could be rear wheel out of alignment...Also maybe rear wheel bearings...I take it that your chain is correct tension...I would check that your rear wheel isn't out of alignment and that your rear wheel bearings are not shot causing your rear wheel alignment to be out whack. If it's a clutch problem it would feel like it's slipping when you give it throttle...

UnoriginalGMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 06:46:17 PM »
Wheel alignment is the first thing I'll check in the morning.. How do I do that?

campurvis

• www.scooterseals.com
    • View Profile
    • www.scooterseals.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:27:39 AM »
Check the rubber dampers in your hub while you're at it.  If you need a service manual download one here:
http://nebula.wsimg.com/78cada893d54eaeead830e0ac3ec1f36?AccessKeyId=F35BCF13A7217AD31712&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
Hsinchu City, Taiwan

motox22a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »
To check sprocket/wheel alignment make sure the notch mark on the end of the rear axle on each side
is located at the same index mark on each side of the swingarm. Also give the rear wheel a spin while
the Symba is on the stand and give it an eyeball from the back and make sure you see no wobble of the
rear wheel as it rotates (Wobble could indicate rear wheel bearing issue). If the chain is making contact
with the metal splash guard (The metal enclosure that envelops the chain and sprockets on the Symba) the
splash guard can be slightly bent inward or outward to provide clearance for the chain (They can become
slightly bent if you hit it with something).

Wheel alignment is the first thing I'll check in the morning.. How do I do that?