Author Topic: How does the RV250 compare with the HD200?  (Read 405 times)

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
How does the RV250 compare with the HD200?
« on: December 30, 2016, 06:11:50 PM »
Hello my fellow SYMpletons! I have an HD200 and it's been a bit of a let down. Design and build quality issues seem to be pretty prevelant. Is the RV250 better quality? It appears to be, but I can't afford to make a bad decision here. I've come across a 2006 RV250 for sale near me for about $1300. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Also, are all years the same, i.e.: equipment, specs, build quality?

Tromper

• View Profile
Re: How does the RV250 compare with the HD200?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 01:09:57 AM »
I've seen some complaints and some compliments on 'em, pretty much like the HD, but to be honest I wouldn't touch it since it's a long discontinued model.
You'd find yourself somewhat on your own for parts, & to some extent service Cam Purvis could help you out of course, & quite a few items probably cross, but if going that route I'd hold out for a CityCom, Kymco Downtown, BV250 maybe, a BV350 (if you have the coin), or a Forza (cuz they're pretty reliable even if the seat sucks, & they're not in the country currently).

Really what are your performance & form factor needs/requirements Homer?  Freeway/non Freeway (or marginal) Wt preference (300 lbs, 400...?)  Would ya take a performance hit for reliability and simplicity? (The Kymco People series has some solid options)
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

campurvis

• www.scooterseals.com
    • View Profile
    • www.scooterseals.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:04:06 AM »
I donít know why the RV250 never caught on in N. America. Maybe it cost too much for that market after the bike switched to EFI    It was a great bike (sometimes called a GTS250 or Joymax in some countries) and went to EFI years agoóbut all the mechanicals remained essentially the same and parts are not a problem here.  I have always regarded it as very well built and very reliable.  The bike now has a larger displacement (ie. RV/GTS300).  I have a customer who maintains a fleet of high mileage, fuel injected  GTS250s for parking wardens  in a city  in the S. Hemisphere.  They have worked out well there.  The big kicker is when you have an accident and need some of the larger body panels. They are huge and and international air  shipping is determined by pkg. volume rather than weight, which can get extremely pricey for large bulky items.  Shipping of mechanical parts is quite reasonable.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:16:31 AM by campurvis »
Hsinchu City, Taiwan

Blue Thunder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
I have a 2009 RV250 and I love it. I've also had no major problems with it. I have no problem getting parts and the scooter is very reliable. The shop where I bought it, and take it for service I can't do myself, does a wonderful job. SYM makes a very good product.