Author Topic: Cannot find the oil plug/ or unplug it  (Read 308 times)

Decky09

• View Profile
Cannot find the oil plug/ or unplug it
« on: December 29, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
Hi, I just bought my used Sym Rv250 not too long ago. Today I tried to change the motor oil for the first time and I wasn't able to find the oil plug. Well, I did find something that looked like it could be the plug on the right side of the scooter. It fit the 17mm socket I had on my wrench but still couldn't manage to get it off after guerrilla shoving it for ten minutes. Then I gave up. Does anyone here know if this was even the oil plug? What methods do you guys use to twist them off? Thank you   

Bosse

• View Profile
Re: Cannot find the oil plug/ or unplug it
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 11:11:51 AM »
There are two plugs, both 17 mm if I remember correctly. The one on the left is supposed to be used for pouring the oil out. The right one holds the thing SYM calls "oil filter" witch is just an oil strainer. You can only use the right one if you want and get the oil out that way but it's messier because of the spring holding the strainer. It doesn't really matter but me I don't check the strainer with every oil change so the left one is easier to use then I think.

And remember that you just have to tighten either plugs just so it sits. Never tighten real hard because of the engine is in fragile aluminium that easily can break with to much torque with a wrench. And the plug can be worn after time. Just tighten so it sits.