Author Topic: Symba dies when given throttle until LONG warmup period  (Read 669 times)

hobo

• View Profile
Symba dies when given throttle until LONG warmup period
« on: December 23, 2016, 02:11:47 PM »
Hi,

I'm new here, and just bought a 2014 Symba that was running fine in the shop, but since coming home i'm having a lot of trouble with it: when first started, it idles OK, but after a minute or so it dies. When restarted, any attempts to give it throttle will kill it. This goes on for quite a while (10-15 mins), until eventually things are warmed up enough (I'm guessing) to that be ridden. It does this in the morning when temps are in the high 30s, as well as afternoons in the 50s and 60s. I pulled the carb, disassembled, cleaned it, but no difference. It's always possible i missed something in the carb, but is there anything else I should look into? The bike is stock as far as I can tell.

piemaster

• View Profile
Re: Symba dies when given throttle until LONG warmup period
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 05:44:54 PM »
I find that I have to start her up and then get ready, that is, bike suit on, helmet, lock up garage and close gate then Im ready and so is the bike, maybe 7 to 8 mins.

hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 06:05:45 PM »
Interesting. It sees like awhile; it almost feels like a choke problem to me. I wish it had a manual choke. There is a wiring connector on the carb, is that some sort of electric choke?

JK900

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 08:14:23 PM »
There is an idling screw on the carb you can play with. Mine is always set higher to accommodate cold weather start, otherwise it will always die when giving it some throttle. Good luck.

hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 02:10:38 PM »
There is an idling screw on the carb you can play with. Mine is always set higher to accommodate cold weather start, otherwise it will always die when giving it some throttle. Good luck.

I was wondering and hoping it could be that simple...I'll try it.

hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »
All manner of playing with the idle screw doesn't work, and even on a two mile ride yesterday with tons of warmup time, it was dying all the time and a real pain to ride.

Dumb question: the battery is very dead, since I don't keep it on a tender. This shouldn't have anything to do with it, right? Spark advance is all mechanical in these bikes, right?

HJracing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:53:19 AM »
After even more reading (not easy to find much info, though) turns out it's not actually the spring that expands with heat, but rather liquid wax. Talk about old-school.

The bystarter is a small, black cylindrical device with two wires coming out of it. When the engine is running, 12V are applied to these wires. Over about 10 minutes or so, the bystarter warms up as the engine warms up. There is some wax in the bystarter that is heated by a small heater. It expands, and extends the bystarter needle about 1/8".     --------   That is what is said about the choke  in an earlier post here and how it actually works. Works by heating paraffin up to stop the choking process. As long as the wax is melted the choke is off. This is the same principal as the thermostat in your car. As the motor in your car warms up the coolant, the wax starts to melt inside the thermostat to open it and lets the coolant flow to the radiator to be cooled. Now with my bike, it used to act like you are describing. I now keep sea foam in the gas at all times and this helps with many future gas problems....  When it use to not rev up, (I know this sounds crazy) I would shake the bike violently side to side and up and down while it was running, it would usually rev up then. I think the float sticks, maybe a design flaw. Doesn't matter how many times you tear the carburetor apart and clean it.   So that's my 2 cents. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:11:28 PM by HJracing »
(2002 Triumph Bonneville America)  (1999 TM 300 MX )  (2012 Symba ) (Former bikes: 1969 Honda SL 90, 1985 Kaw.1000 LTD, 1976 Yam.DT 250)  Motorize bicycle

hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 04:29:44 PM »
I ended up replacing the carb. Not cheap but problem solved.

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »
How much did it cost to get your carb "replaced"? Why not just clean your carbs? Would have been a lot cheaper.

petemoss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »
Hobo, as Rhashad mentioned, why not just clean your carbs. Inevitably this problem mar re-appear next time you pull it out of storage.
I have included a couple of youtube video links that may be of interest to you, well worth watching and sort of demystifies these small engines. Trouble shooting a bike is a great skill to have and not too difficult to grasp, not to mention, cheaper than replacing components or paying a mechanic.

Part 1
https://youtu.be/QaVFvSbg1_I

Part 2
https://youtu.be/yef7sgfcMwg

Cheers mate and happy riding! 8)
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2011 Royal Enfield Classic 500