Author Topic: Fuel Tank Fix  (Read 523 times)

beagle

• View Profile
Fuel Tank Fix
« on: December 12, 2016, 05:28:39 PM »
This is my attempt at correcting the fuel leak problem on my 2012 HD200 EVO. I measured the neck diameter of my tank and found it to be about 1 7/8 inch. I Googled the web for fuel filler neck parts and found a site called Filler Neck Supply Co. and ordered the parts below.

The hose was $0.72 per inch and I got 6 inches to be safe. I could have gotten by with 4 inches.

When you fit the pieces together it looks like this:

I cut the neck off up to the external ribs. Then I cut off the external ribs to leave me about a 1 7/8 inch diameter neck about 1 Ѕ inch long.

I left the internal ribs but removed the small round filler neck reducer that only allowed the unleaded pump nozzle. The new filler neck insert comes with a reducer and flap.

All put together it looks like this. You will also notice that I capped off the factory neck vent because the screw on cap is vented.

Wish me luck... I still have the scooter apart from doing the smog/evap removal.

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Tank Fix
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 06:34:44 PM »
Why didn't you just use some FlexSeal? LOL  Let us know how things go.

deedee

• Denver, C0 www.meetup.com Denver Scooter Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 08:04:37 AM »
Well done.  Nice write up with sources for parts.   Looks like a permanent fix.    You can get rid of the emissions check valve, and run your tank vent straight down on the left side.  Plug the vacuum line at the carb, and never have to worry about over filling again. 

Mikrotikpa

• View Profile
    • Зацените мой новый хуавей обзор
Fuel Tan
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »
I fill up at 1/2 on my main ride, I keep my spare truck full unless Im working on the fuel tank and the wifes car is usually in E . . .
Успехов вам! пожалуйста зацените http://vli.su/youtube мой канал если не трудно =)

Blue Thunder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
Hi everyone,
I've tried contacting Beagle regarding some questions I have about this fix and I am not having any success. I have ordered and received the parts he suggested but I am unsure how to proceed with fixing the situation. I need to know if I have to:

*remove the fuel tank
*where to make the cut on the tank
*how to cut the tank so that nothing gets into the tank
*and what to make the cut with

I certainly don't want to make any mistakes with this process so that's why I am getting all the information necessary before jumping in and doing this. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Blue Thunder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 10:13:41 AM »
If any of you have/had a problem with the gas leaking from the gas cap, due to the fact that SYM did a horrible job of manufacturing the "metal cap-to plastic neck", just PM me with your email address and I'll send you pictures on what and how I solved the problem.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »
I take it that you sorted out the items you were missing from the OP?
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Blue Thunder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »
I ordered the same parts that Beagle did in his initial post. Once those parts came, it was apparent that I needed to buy a 2" to 1 7/8" reducer. I got it from the same company. I forced the insert from the fuel cap into the 2' part of the reduced after I cut off 1/4" of the reducer (2" end). I cut the rubber fuel neck to fit and then used a band clamp to connect it to the tank. When I put the scooter back together, the rubber filler neck went through the plastic like it was meant to be. There is no longer a lock for the tank but there is also no more leak. For someone who has no experience on anything like this, I'm impressed with myself. Only time will tell if this is a complete and total success. My money is on me!  ;)

Biketrash

• View Profile
    • Biketrash Holiday
Fuel Tank Fix
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 02:01:21 PM »
I also have done this gas-tank fix.  Thanks, Beagle and Blue Thunder, for sharing!

In my fix I more followed Beagle's steps about where to cut off the tank neck and not use a reducer like Blue Thunder.  It's hard to tell from the angle of the pictures, but I think I was able to make the rubber hose a little shorter so it doesn't stick out quite as far.  I cut the rubber hose to 2 3/8".

I didn't remove the gas tank.  I used rags to stuff in the neck, but had to be so slow and careful about not letting anything past the rags that it may have been faster to remove the tank.

This fix is not real pretty, but it sure is better than putting up with that ridiculous warped tank.  Like Blue Thunder said, only time will tell about how well it works.  I'm going to be out of town a lot in the next few months, but will follow up later after I've had a chance to deal with several fill-ups.

2012 HD200 EVO, 2007 V-Star 1300
BiketrashHoliday.com