Author Topic: SyM RV200i EVO spark plug removal process  (Read 340 times)

genuks

• View Profile
SyM RV200i EVO spark plug removal process
« on: December 10, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »
Hello to all tech geeks!
For we are all know how uneasy if not at all the workshops could be trusted with our equipment without having some sudden fails in the near future, we shall take the 'petty' repairs on ourselves :) So once I've taken a look at my brand new SyM RV 200i EVO (I believe it is more of a Joyride alike, right?) I found its impossible to access the spark plug out from the side planks. So looks like this is inevitable to remove a saddle in a whole. Could somebody please to cover up this process in details here, on how to access the spark plug on a JR in most sophisticated and easy way?
Thank you a ton in advance,
Cheers,

CarefulRider

• View Profile
Re: SyM RV200i EVO spark plug removal process
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »
Here's a process I use on my RV200; I presume it is the same for the (European) JoyRide. I have taken this from other members, so thank you members. I acknowledge your input and authorship, and have used this on my scoot. I have added steps that I, personally, prefer to do as well.
The list is just my list of tools and things I need. You shall discover for yourself what tools and accessories you shall need.

█PLUG, SPARK, CLEANING:-
Things needed:
•rag
•¼" driver
•dust brushes
•¼ x 3" ext rod
•6 x ¼" ext rod
•5/8" swivel socket
•3/8 x 6" extension rod
•10 mm socket & ¼" driver
•#2 Phillips screw driver
•spark plug cleaning tools
•3/8" drive ratchet handle.
•plastic conditioner & brush
•rust remover & applicator brush
•5/8" universal joint spark plug socket
•Black barbecue paint & applicator brush

-The spark plug is under the center cover, which is to say that it is right between and under your legs. The plug is on the left side of the cylinder head. But you do need a universal jointed 5/8" socket. Do not over tighten, and do use anti-seize compound on the threads.

►Lift the seat up, and with ¼" driver, 6" x ¼" extension rod and 10 mm socket, unbolt 3 acorn nuts, and 2 bolts. Next unscrew and remove the 5 screws of the center front cylinder head cover, the dark gray panel under the front edge of the seat.
►Lift up the under-seat storage tub; disconnect the wire connector to the engine lock and now remove the under-seat tray & set aside. The spark-plug, is visible on the left side of the cylinder head.
►Now brush the dust off thoroughly from the components from the seat rim down. Next apply rust remover to all rusted areas.
►Remove the cap of spark plug cable. Take the 5/8" u-joint spark plug socket, 6" extension rod and ratchet handle and remove the spark plug.

CHECKING THE SPARK PLUG
Check the electrode if it is dirty or fouled by carbon deposits.
▬Remove the carbon deposits on the electrode with steel wire, and clean the spark plug with gasoline, then, wipe dry with a rag.
▬Check the electrode, and adjust its gap to 0.8 mm. or 0.03149" (Check it with a feeler gauge).

█PLUG, SPARK, TESTING:
-What colour is the spark plug electrode? Black, grey, white, or oily and wet?
-When testing the spark, put the plug thread against the engine away from the plug hole or it will catch fire, if you hold just the cap part you shouldn't get zapped, look for a bright blue regular spark; if no spark or a weak orange one, then you have an electrical problem, maybe the coil or something else.

█PLUG, SPARK:-
-CR8E probably fine for 9-12,000 km. NGK R CR8E
-The plug is an NGK cr8-e, which is a $4.00 resistor plug.

▬Hand/finger tighten the spark plug as far as it can go and then tighten it another 1/2~3/4 turns with a wrench, or Tighten torque: 1.0~1.2kgf-m
▬Allow the rust remover to dry. Paint the treated areas with black paint.
▬Replace the items in reverse order.
Hope this helps, even though it is a late reply.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:37:40 AM by CarefulRider »
Don't grow old; & choose your parents well