Author Topic: Looking for thoughts about HD200 Evo  (Read 1436 times)

Emil

• View Profile
Looking for thoughts about HD200 Evo
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »
Hi there,

This is my first post here, and hopefully not the last.
I have been riding a Kymco 125cc scooter for the last 8 years or so and consider an upgrade.
Yesterday, I went to a Sym dealer and test rode the HD 200 Evo. The machine was riding really well (handling, acceleration) and seemed well built too, so I am considering the upgrade.
But before emptying my pockets I would love to get some feedback from folks who rode this scooter for a while.
So if you have some thoughts that you are willing to share, please go ahead.

My main interest reliability and maintenance cost/ease.
I am riding my scooter 5 times/week and will put around 5-8k miles a year on it. Maintenance and minor repairs will be done by myself as well.

Looking forward to getting some input :)

-Emil

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for thoughts about HD200 Evo
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »
I rode a 2006 model HD200 - it wasn't EVO back then - for four+ years and 16,000 miles (an accident totaled it). Mine was a rock. It never failed me and ran like a 250cc scoot. I loved it. Oil changes are inexpensive because there is no filter to replace. Adding coolant is inconvenient; you need light to even check it.

People have reported troubles with bad temp sensors or thermostats, which can cause overheating.
There are real or perceived issues with parts. I never had trouble, and if you have a good dealer you shouldn't either. Buy one, you'll like it.

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »
Yeah - I was just reading about the sensor issue, leaking coolant, gas leaking dunnowhere etc. ... very scary.
Good to hear yours was great (sorry for the accident).
I'd also say the performance is great, and size-wise I don't think I'll have any trouble putting this thing on the sidewalk.
The biggest contestants at the moment are (used) Kymco People 300i and Piaggio BV350. I am afraid though they're too big for the cops to overlook.
Thanks for the reply!

Curious about more opinions
-E

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »
BV 350 is world class.
SYM 200 really does not LOOK any smaller next to it. Do not buy it for that reason alone.

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 10:40:32 PM »
Sure, the BV350 looks really (I mean REALLY) good and is probably a rocket compared to the HD200. The price for a new one is beyond my capabilities - but there is a 2013 model with 6k miles for a bit less than what the Sym costs new.
The only problem: I would have to travel there by train & bus for 5-6 hours and then ride that thing back home ...in October

Still, the HD200 seemed nice. It was comfortable, easy to ride and had decent power. Unfortunately it needs a top box. And this sensor and gas leaking issue really scares me.

But good to know that the two don't look much different size wise. I had my doubts because the Citicom 300 seemed huge.

Cheers,
E.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:43:03 PM by Emil »

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 09:37:46 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I like my HD, but unless I got a really good deal (I bought my '12 new in '15 for $2600 which was OK for me) I would look for something else.  IMO, there are too many issues which except the not great brakes are addressable, to pay anything close to MSRP for a new one.  Yamaha SMAX seem to have great reviews and around here are listed for $2999 and no shipping or setup fees, it is fuel injected, has a windscreen, is reported to have good performance despite the smaller 155cc engine.  How far is your commute and what area of the country/world do you live in?

If weight is a consideration the BV350 is 390 pounds dry, the Kymco is around 360 dry (I recall reading).  If the KYMCO had antilock brakes I would consider one myself.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:49:57 AM by hsympson »

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 10:20:12 AM »
I know guys take the HD on the highway, but the truth is that the HD is really not a highway bike. The BV 250/350 on the other hand is quite stable on the highway and is no where near WOT at 65 MPH. Or 70 MPH.

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 11:56:01 PM »
I tried the Kymco 300i, but I could not sit on it without my knees hitting the back of the handlebar cover. Watch for that. Even the BV350 needed a reworked seat.

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 01:17:36 AM »
I have  2006 HD and I ride full-time. I take it on the highway daily for about 8 miles. I'm never the fastest vehicle, but never the slowest. The bike has been reliable for me, but I am at WOT the entire time I'm on the highway, which obviously isn't ideal. I agree with what some other have posted about there being other good options out there if you're doing mostly highway.
FYI: If you're anywhere near me (Florida) or willing to buy sight-unseen and ship, I'd sell you my HD for cheap. She runs like a top.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 05:56:47 PM »
The HD has great power to weight, & is a great ride, but as noted by others there are some reliability questions. 

First issue is that they seem to run forever or blow their head.
My suspicion is that if you run a lot of top end stuff you blow the head.  Tough to say though.  Someone just took one across the country & it's been run on the cannonball too so might just be QC issues.
The other issues folks have run into are with fuel filler.
I have not run into that, but there have been more than a couple reports.  I suspect that's caused by how ya remove and put it back on & soft plastic threads, but once again I don't know definitively.
And of course the issue with gas in the oil if you overfill and the breather pulls some down via the carbon canister.

Of the ones you mentioned, within your parameters you mentioned I'd be taking a harder look at the People GT300i.  About the only gripes I know of with that are the under seat fuel filler, & getting a decent windscreen.  I gather the later can be worked around, & you can live with the former.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 09:07:06 AM »
Thank you for all the input! Considering the pros and cons, those technical issues got me in the end and I decided to buy a (lightly) used Kymco People 300 instead.
Speed and handling where in my opinion really good on the HD and I thought it was great that the dealer let me test ride the machine, but at almost $4k I need a reliable scooter that does not have gas cap problems or might suddenly overheat.
My current scoot has 20k miles on it and cost me $2,000 - naturally I expect double the mileage from a scooter that costs double  ;D

@Tromper: is under seat fuel filler an issue for some? It never came to my mind in the past 7 years. Actually it is even a good thing because the gas level can be seen when filling the tank. This way I was always able to fill up the tank to the last possible ounce.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 07:23:43 PM »
RE: Under Seat filler.
I have one on my S200, & have used it, but I'm not a fan if it overflows, & it's a bit slower to get at particularly if you have something bungied to your seat other.

It's not a deal killer, I'm looking hard at a GT300I myself, but I prefer it on the outside like the SYM has it.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

AMAC1680

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 05:57:21 AM »
It's kind of an apples and oranges deal when comparing the kymco and SYM. They look alike, big wheel but it stops there.

I've owned the 171cc SYM and the 299cc Kymco motors and it's not a fair comparison. Twice the displacement, 30hp to 14.5 and better everything.

Just two very different scoots.

AMAC

david23

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
You made up your mind, but I'm going to tell you that the 2015 SYM HD 200 I have runs great I've read other people's posts stating the various problems they've encountered, and fortunately I haven't come across any of them Before buying this vehicle, I test rode the Kymco, as a matter of fact about 3 Kymco models, and they didn't handle or feel that comfortable to me on the street or highway I'm going to stick with SYM for my next new scooter purchase Good luck on your new purchase Until next time

AMAC1680

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 05:20:12 AM »
You made up your mind, but I'm going to tell you that the 2015 SYM HD 200 I have runs great I've read other people's posts stating the various problems they've encountered, and fortunately I haven't come across any of them Before buying this vehicle, I test rode the Kymco, as a matter of fact about 3 Kymco models, and they didn't handle or feel that comfortable to me on the street or highway I'm going to stick with SYM for my next new scooter purchase Good luck on your new purchase Until next time

Personal choice I assume.
The GTI300 is far and away a more substantial bike than the HD200. I've owned both and the SYM is a beast for it's displacement. But the difference between the two is huge. From motor to brakes the kymco simply a more powerful more sophisticated scoot.

Again not a knock on the SYM, just apples and oranges.

AMAC