Author Topic: Newby in need of some help please, Ig. coil fuse keeps blowing  (Read 901 times)

jditonno

• View Profile
Hey all!
I have an '08 300i that was jumped from a pickup early this spring ever since it was jumped it blows the ig. fuse when the side stand is engaged. I have been chasing wires for two months now and am slowing going insane. I tried unhooking things one by one and tried bypassing the side stand and still the fuse blows. Everything functions when the battery is first connected turn key on it runs the normal display turn on the main red switch still fine, as soon as I lift the side stand you hear a very brief whir like the fuel pump is going to do its thing and then `pop` the 15amp ig. fuse goes.

I am looking for any suggestions as where I should look next. I have the scoot taken apart so that I could inspect all of the wiring and have yet to come across anything major.
please help....I miss my ride!!!!

Thanks
JD
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 01:56:21 PM by jditonno »

redridinghood

• View Profile
Re: Ig. coil fuse blowing
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:04:57 AM »
Just by reading your description, I wonder if the fuse would blow if you disconnected the wires to the fuel pump and turned the key on?

Whirr...pop

Would have to think this would isolate the fuel pump (and possibly a relay?) and might see if it's to blame.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:13:01 AM by redridinghood »

jditonno

• View Profile
Re: Ig. coil fuse blowing
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 11:38:43 AM »
Thanks so much for the reply, I shall go give it a try and let you guys know a.s.a.p

jditonno

• View Profile
Newby in need of some help please, Ig. coil fuse keeps blowing
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 11:54:20 AM »
Ok, I unplugged the fuel pump and turned it on the display showed the fuel display was blinking i'm assuming b/c it was disconnected engaged the side stand and pop...Then replaced fuse unplugged the fuel pump relay and the result was the same (blown fuse) but I can hear the engine stop relay make a click when I engage the side stand. (i'm not sure if that is even relevant) so what do you think should be next?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:41:30 PM by jditonno »

jditonno

• View Profile
Re: Newby in need of some help please, Ig. coil fuse keeps blowing
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »
Battery is showing 12.8 volts and tested the coil today based on a video I found on you tube everything seemed ok with the coil...Really could use some suggestions on what to check next.

trying59

• View Profile
Re: Newby in need of some help please, Ig. coil fuse keeps blowing
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 01:06:42 AM »
Battery is showing 12.8 volts and tested the coil today based on a video I found on you tube everything seemed ok with the coil...Really could use some suggestions on what to check next.

The issue I found chasing down the reason my #()$*  solenoid issue was the #()$*$()#  wiring is a peace of shit .  Low quality . So with my issue after taking off the tub  under the seat was the fact the SYM didn't give a rats ass if they cleaned up the wielding splatter .  It's sharp  and with time will wear through the rubber wiring cases.    I m guessing somewhere there a live wire  worn through that is grounding out and popping the frame.    Sadly the only thing your do is take every peace of plastic off and then trace down the short .   if the truck was running when jumped you might have damaged the wiring loom somewhere .   
Before doing all that take the tub off ,  4 bolts and move the solenoid .  At least with my ride the SYM wield the solenoid mount to close to the grab rail mount on the right side.   end result at least with me was the start would run and run .    There also a fuse in the solenoid .  You can see if that still good.     I would place my bet on the fact that somewhere there's a live wire grounding it's self out and popping the fuse.   You can watch youtube videos that show you how to trace down a short .  To simplify it's just using 12 volt fuse light probe and starting the battery going forward wire by wire till the light show up the short .  This type of stuff isn't something I good at.     The other thing to know is that every switch on SYM is a peace of china shit .  You can but a set off fleabay .  Could be one of these is also the issue .  Eg the wire going to the starter switch is very low grade and thin.   I would not be shocked to see a switch is the issue .  I even bypassed the switch under my seat due to issues with it .