Author Topic: Retired at last!!  (Read 1717 times)

GLV55

• View Profile
Retired at last!!
« on: June 13, 2016, 09:08:50 AM »
Well folks, after 32 years of teaching middle schoolers (and high school for the last 8 years), I am hanging up my Band Director baton and becoming CEO of Household Honey-dos and Naps!! I know that for some of you, 32 years doesn't seem like a lot, but trust me, teaching middle school is like dog years: each one seems like seven.   ;D

Now I get to ride whenever I choose to, and the scooter will become my primary commuting and errand machine (at least until the heavy snow hits.) The big F-150 will also be retired, and we have both earned it - lots of mileage on us both!

Hang in there, everyone. Your time will eventually come!
2014 PCH 150 (Matte Black)
Nampa, ID

CarefulRider

• View Profile
Re: Retired at last!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 01:50:32 PM »
Well congratulations, GLV:  :P

I'm preparing to retire next year, & plan to ride my RV200 EVO, wherever I feel drawn to. Is there a place in your inviting state, where it doesn't snow in winter?  ::)
Don't grow old; & choose your parents well

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:09:12 PM »
Well congratulations, GLV:  :P

I'm preparing to retire next year, & plan to ride my RV200 EVO, wherever I feel drawn to. Is there a place in your inviting state, where it doesn't snow in winter?  ::)

Inside.  ;)

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 11:15:17 PM »
Yeah, what Syd said. We have true four seasons here, and winter usually nets us about 4 - 6 inches of snow about once a month. We just look out the window, sigh, and go out to the garage and pet the scooters.
Nampa, ID

BigOldDog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 11:11:43 PM »
Congratulations on making it to the end game, (a good many sadly don't :'() it looks like you were prepared and ready for it, my father was forced to retire early due to health problems and although financially OK wasn't anywhere near ready emotionally, it took him about 2 years to find his new niche in life, "officially" I am due to retire in 8 years at 66 but as I cannot imagine doing so, I think I'm going to have to give it some serious thought!

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 12:04:35 AM »
... "officially" I am due to retire in 8 years at 66 but as I cannot imagine doing so, I think I'm going to have to give it some serious thought!
I knew that there was no way to make it to full retirement at age 65. Being a Band Director is too time consuming, and it's a young person's gig for sure. I would have been very bitter and burned out by that time, and I didn't want to be "that" teacher, so even if I have to get a part-time job, I don't regret my decision at all. Time to slow down and enjoy some time with the family and the scooter.
Nampa, ID

BigOldDog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 04:57:09 PM »
Time to slow down and enjoy some time with the family and the scooter.
I definitely need to get into that mindset...

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
Time to slow down and enjoy some time with the family and the scooter.
I definitely need to get into that mindset...
It's tough to do with all the time demands on our lives, for sure. A lot of other cultures do this so much better than we do - an exchange student from Italy remarked that we (the US) are always so busy, and that dinner in Italy is a time to gather and enjoy not only the food, but the company of family and friends for at least 2 hours. We need to work on that in our culture. She also remarked that most people ride scooters, and that maybe if more people did that here, there would be a slower pace and everyone would be less stressed. I agreed wholeheartedly with her on that!
Nampa, ID

BigOldDog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 01:51:17 PM »
I was in Rome last September, the scooter bit is true, but it seemed like a city made for scooter.

CarefulRider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 07:45:03 AM »
The obstacle we face in Canada & the US is that for the vast majority of us there comes a time every year when it gets so bloody cold, that it dissuades all but the best-gear-equipped riders from riding.  :'(

Then comes snow (& sometimes, ice) on the roads, which make riding conditions hazardous enough for even the well-equipped riders to think that discretion is the better part of valor.  :-\

Mediterranean temperatures are conducive for riding.  :P

If I may generalize: where climate & temperature permit, people ride. That said, I don't know... do people ride in Mexico?  :-[

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 12:28:54 AM »
The obstacle we face in Canada & the US is that for the vast majority of us there comes a time every year when it gets so bloody cold, that it dissuades all but the best-gear-equipped riders from riding.  :'(

Then comes snow (& sometimes, ice) on the roads, which make riding conditions hazardous enough for even the well-equipped riders to think that discretion is the better part of valor.  :-\

Mediterranean temperatures are conducive for riding.  :P

If I may generalize: where climate & temperature permit, people ride. That said, I don't know... do people ride in Mexico?  :-[

True enough about the temps and weather keeping most of the US and Canada from riding for a good part of the year. This year I was able to ride up until the middle of February because of our unusually mild winter. Then the snow and rain hit. And the scoot sat in the garage, whimpering quietly until the April thaw.  I would love to be somewhere I could ride throughout the year...pipe dream, though.
Nampa, ID

CarefulRider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 06:50:54 AM »
That's why I asked you if there was some place in your state where it didn't snow. I've been through Idaho a handful of times, & like it enough to want to spend a winter in a "snow-free" part. Of course, I know now: no such place/area.  ::)

Mark you, there are places such as Florida, & others in the south of the country where it doesn't snow, but possibly not as geographically/physically attractive. Spending winters in the south would imply living in two states in the year, which, if you can afford it, a lot of people do.  8)

I found California to be a place where I could live year round, meeting my requirements of physical beauty; I want to live where there is cultural activity, say, a college town. Unfortunately, without looking very hard, I have not found an affordable college town in Calif, where my monthy retired budget of $2000 would permit me to stay & live in. The cheapest room (in a house/apartment) that I can rent that I found was $750/month.  :o

So while I still entertain the thought of being a gypsy when I retire, I don't know how exactly to do it, & how it is actually going to unfold. I presume finding landlords that are willing to rent an affordable room for between one & six months, is not going to be easy either.  :(

So your ideas & suggestions are welcome.  ;D

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »
That's why I asked you if there was some place in your state where it didn't snow. I've been through Idaho a handful of times, & like it enough to want to spend a winter in a "snow-free" part. Of course, I know now: no such place/area.  ::)

The Boise area is probably about the mildest climate for winters in Idaho, but it's still a crap shoot. Some winters are mild and wet, and other just freeze your fanny. Almost all other areas of Idaho have much more snow and cold during the winter.

Mark you, there are places such as Florida, & others in the south of the country where it doesn't snow, but possibly not as geographically/physically attractive. Spending winters in the south would imply living in two states in the year, which, if you can afford it, a lot of people do.  8)

I found California to be a place where I could live year round, meeting my requirements of physical beauty; I want to live where there is cultural activity, say, a college town. Unfortunately, without looking very hard, I have not found an affordable college town in Calif, where my monthy retired budget of $2000 would permit me to stay & live in. The cheapest room (in a house/apartment) that I can rent that I found was $750/month.  :o

That's about what my retirement budget is also, and anything in Cali costs so much, there's no way it would be possible, even though the mild year-round climate is very tempting.

So while I still entertain the thought of being a gypsy when I retire, I don't know how exactly to do it, & how it is actually going to unfold. I presume finding landlords that are willing to rent an affordable room for between one & six months, is not going to be easy either.  :(

So your ideas & suggestions are welcome.  ;D

I guess you could always buy a trailer or RV and haul the scooter around the country. That's about the only way I can think of to be able to live a gypsy lifestyle and not have to hassle with the whole renting thing. My uncle & aunt did that for about 7 years before they aged out, and loved seeing the various parts of the country. They sure made a lifetime of memories!
Nampa, ID

shoupdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 11:20:42 AM »
congrats!

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 09:35:21 PM »
Thanks, shoupdawg!