Author Topic: Senior Citizen Citycom Rolls Again  (Read 518 times)

phipsd

• View Profile
Senior Citizen Citycom Rolls Again
« on: May 22, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »
I was having so much fun with the new V-Strom 1000 last year that I didn't get around to riding the scoot. An injury and concussion at work meant that I needed to get back on two wheels with something more friendly and easier to manage.

A new monster AGM battery ( the V-Strom 1000 size will fit!) and copious amounts of WD-40 on the switches and it fired right up. 33,000 km and 800 added a couple of days later. It turns out that a Michelin Citygrip likes more air in the front for the twisties (32) than what SYM says. What a sweet ride! What a great handling little bike. The winds were strong and gusty and I had my six-four perched forward until my knees were just touching,  everything was suddenly stable and fun.

6500-7000 and it was zipping along with the holiday rush. The bike runs much better than new. I can hardly wait to pile on more miles.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:27:28 PM by phipsd »

thoppa

• View Profile
Re: Senior Citizen Citycom Rolls Again
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:40:36 PM »
Sorry to hear about the injury.  :'(

Was the CC garaged while it was out of use? How long was it in storage? Did you prep it before leaving it idle? I have an XT660 I haven't used in 5 years sitting in a garage in the UK while I'm overseas. I prepped it thinking I'd be away for a year....  ::)

phipsd

• View Profile
Re: Senior Citizen Citycom Rolls Again
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 01:41:42 AM »
The last time it had been ridden was Oct 14. The last few tanks of gas the scoot gets ethanol free Chevron, then I fill up the tank and run a hefty dose of Sta-Bil through the FI. This is my favourite thing about FI; I don't have to screw around with draining carbs. The bike is outside but covered with two covers that are well tied down. I pay particular attention to making sure the brakes are well protected. It's a pain when callipers seize. The battery is on a smart battery tender. ( not a charger ).

I did the same deal to a Suzuki C90 Cruiser ( Big Pig ) that sat for 3 years hooked up to a plug-in tender. It too fired right up. Five years? I don't know. I'm sure there is a limit.