OK, here is my attempt to remember what i did.
Below is a picture from the manual which shows the system and pretty much all the stuff you need to remove. I think once you remove the leg shield it will be obvious. The part labeled #1 is in the head. Do not try to remove it. Part #2 is a copper bushing of sorts. You will be reusing that. You may not realize it is copper. Mine was black and looked like it was part of the metal tube. Only when i looked at the diagram in the manual did i realize it's a bushing. The rest of the stuff is trash.
You can see in the picture below all the parts I removed.
Below is the steel tube where the copper bushing was. In this picture the bushing is gone, so it should help you recognize what part comes out. Be careful as it is soft and can easily be marred. You need it in as pristine condition as possible because you will use it to seal up the tube which sticks out of the head. I used a needle nose pliers. First i pulled the metal tongs/fingers a little apart. Then carefully rocking the bushing back and forth, it came right out.
The beauty or simplicity rather is that the external dimension of the bushing is an exact tight fit for a 1/2 inch copper cap, that can be purchased at any home store nation wide. What you have to do is cut slots in the cap so that it will expand a bit to receive the bushing, and allow the hose clamp to actually squeeze the cover tight. This cap isn't the one I cut, but if you look carefully you will notice lines in black marker indicating about how far down I made my slots. I made four slots, which means two cuts with a hacksaw.
This is what my concoction looks like on the bike. I didn't have to force anything. I inserted the bushing (part #2) into the copper cap first. It needed a light tap with a hammer but not much force. The cap easily slid onto the tube which comes out of the head. The last thing to do was tighten up the new hose clamp. That made the cap really tight. I couldn't even twist it. On my first ride I checked it quite a few times to be certain it didn't move. A year and a half later i still check it periodically but i don't think it has moved at all.
I don't think it made the bike faster, or anything like that. It might have made it quieter, at least i remember thinking that at the time. If you do it early enough it should keep your exhaust pipe from turning blue. Other than that, it's just neater. I like things neat.
One final note. Doing this may be illegal depending on where you live. Like the Peoples Republic of California for example. I don't really know one way or another. It is not illegal where i live thus the reason i felt comfortable giving it a try. Also if i thought it would have a significant impact on the environment i would not have done it. I probably make more pollution on one trip to the grocery store with my car than i do in an entire year by making this change on the bike, which is why i ride my bicycle to the store.
I'm a shade tree mechanic, not an engineer so if there is anyone out there who actually knows otherwise, feel free to set me straight.