Author Topic: Citycom start always turning when power is on ?  (Read 717 times)

trying59

• View Profile
Citycom start always turning when power is on ?
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:15:17 PM »
I think the solenoid relay  is stuck on .  The citycom I have always is trying to turn over if there any battery power .  Doesn't matter if the key is off .  Am I right in thinking it just fried it's self ? 

shoupdawg

• View Profile
Re: Citycom start always turning when power is on ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 12:13:13 PM »
interesting....does it happen even with the kickstand down?  with the killswitch (under the seat) engaged?  are you pulling in the brake?

trying59

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 01:29:58 AM »
Yep  .  So anyway SYM canada I email the guy there and he goes go to website  and then look at tec doc .  Wants me to find the part number but the kicker is that there s no such part named a solenoid .  Start relay etc but no clear picture.   Like how the hell should I know the part number instead of the company that imports and sells them in canada?    :-X Anyway I found a china clone at a scooter dealer whom had something that looked like it in a box of old parts .   Why the hell not use common solenoid SYM ?    I understand your guys in the states get your parts fair easier then here in Canada .   Smaller market where the import fails to stock parts.  End up waiting for stuff to come in.    The only reason I didn't wire up an auto one in place of it is fuel injection and ECU.   Done wrong it could fry far to much.   
If this one doesn't work I ll just fed ex one from USA .    Sad thing is your ve got Japan bikes made the day I was born in 1966 running around with 50 year old solenoids .  Same thing with Cars.   No reason 7 year old one should go bad except sub standard.     

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:33:02 AM by trying59 »

shoupdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »
Well good luck with that and keep us posted.

trying59

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 11:21:38 AM »
Anyway  Just a word of WARNING .  Handle bar switches are cheap china ship.   Replace the starter button and found out that it's 20 cent switch that is common  your find them cheap scooters.  All the handle bar switches are cheap , cheap crap .  Good news is you can buy replacement off fleabay for 5 bucks a set.   Bad news 5 grand scooter is using 4 bucks worth of switches to save cash  The inside of the starter button is just a spring and 2 peaces of copper.  SYM isn't thinking of keeping these running long term .  15 years from now just a mess of crap wiring and switches shorting out or not working .  With that out of the way I thought I fixed the issue due to soleniod but it seem something else is shorting out grounding out the solenoid so it gets power.  I m guessing a wire rub lose somewhere near the battery.   
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:41:32 AM by trying59 »

trying59

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 01:57:03 PM »
The wiring  room under the seat isn't cover up with good quilty shink type rap .   The end result is it wears through.  In my case the issue is the SYM were being dam gits when they decide to where to put the soleniod . The spacing between where it s mounts and the next peace of metal where grab rail mounts is 3/8 inch or so.  Add in the face that they just wield it in place without filing out any small blobs of metal that came off  as they did it and you going to get wire wearing through .  Since the seat is just 4 bolts and 2 phiphs bolts I would take it off and take a look to see if you have issues waiting to happen.   If I can figuare out where to move the soleniod I going to do just that.  I ll need a longer wire that comes from the starter up to it but they are just common parts at any auto shop .   
It's fix .  Issue shorting out on the frame due to cheap wiring loom .   SYM is making stuff to last 15 years or less I guess.   Great scooter but cheap stuff used to save money outside of engine.     

thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 02:50:49 AM »
So the weldling left some extra bits of sharp metal on the frame and that wore through the loom? Yikes, I think you were unlucky with that.

Most switchgear I have disassembled is two bits of copper and a spring - I had a Yamaha Fazer light switch that didn't work after 4 years so it's not a SYM thing I'm afraid.

If you want, check out the design of the Kawasaki ER6 and it's China copy the WK 650. They shrank the air filter, reduced the clutch plates from 6 to 5, etc etc.... everything they could do to save cost but externally you wouldn't know - it looks like a full copy. What I'm saying is Taiwan is a whole level up in quality than China. 

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 09:43:23 PM »
SYM wiring not wrapped properly? My new much more expensive Suzuki V-Strom 1000 was recalled for the same problem. SYM's may not be perfect, like anything else they are subject to human error. Still, overall my SYM has been more reliable than any other bike that I have owned and I've put 34000 clicks on it, so I have a good basis for comparison.

Yeah, the switches feel crude, but much of that can be fixed with WD-40.