Author Topic: oil drain plug  (Read 821 times)

mike troiano

• View Profile
    • miketroiano.com
oil drain plug
« on: April 28, 2016, 09:42:55 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a new drain plug for my 2008 RV250? It is starting to wear at the corners, and I would like to replace it next oil change.

campurvis

• www.scooterseals.com
    • View Profile
    • www.scooterseals.com
Re: oil drain plug
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 02:52:52 AM »
Itís a 12mm bolt. SYM Taiwan Part number is: 92800-12000.  I donít stock it but I can get it.
Price with crush washer is US$3.90. Registered Airmail to USA is probably around US$4.50.
You might also be able to pick up the right sized bolt locally if you have a good bolt shop nearby.  If itís a bit too long, a hacksaw and a file will set that right.  Failing that, check out drain bolt sizes on some Japanese products--you might get lucky.
Hsinchu City, Taiwan

mike troiano

• View Profile
    • miketroiano.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 03:03:21 PM »
It is not just a bolt, it also has a larger round rim. Is that the one you have in stock?

Like this: [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/280944495806?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true/url]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:33:23 PM by mike troiano »

campurvis

• www.scooterseals.com
    • View Profile
    • www.scooterseals.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 07:17:58 PM »
Actually, that is what I call an oil screen plug.  Symís official name for it is
ď1236A-V02-000 Tappet adjust hole coverĒ     because it is also used for that purpose.
Theyíre $4.90 + shipping.  --yes it is in stock.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:49:22 PM by campurvis »
Hsinchu City, Taiwan

mike troiano

• View Profile
    • miketroiano.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:10:05 PM »
Fantastic! How do I go about ordering one?

campurvis

• www.scooterseals.com
    • View Profile
    • www.scooterseals.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 09:37:19 PM »
I'll send you a PM on this Mike
Cam
Hsinchu City, Taiwan

hooper117

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »
Hello Cam, this is an old post by about a year, however I need to order the part you have listed.
I have a SYM RV-250 (2009) and the tappet cover you've listed is the same number I found in the RV250 Parts list.
1236A-V02-000.
Do you also sell the kit? I've seen some that come with screen and 0-ring.
I must have tightened the 17mm bolt too hard at the last oil change. I've had trouble getting it off. So I am rounding the corners on this bolt. I may have to use Vise-Grips to get it off.
Let me know. Thanks
Rick

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 02:22:19 PM »
You mean ⬇️THIS⬇️ hasn't taken the 🌎 by ⛈ yet? Knock me over with a feather. 🙄

🤔>Adding...

Your issue with the rounded oil filter screen cover has made me think...

There must be manufacturing tolerances/variation (we know that a wrench or socket has play in it when we place it on a fastener) for both fasteners and the tools we use on those fasteners.

So, what are those tolerances that leads to (along with possible over-tightening) the problem you're having with removing the filter cover, because if the tool fit "perfect" with 100% of the wrench flats in contact with the flats on the fastener, rounded fasteners would become an endangered species.

Found this online...

>>When a bolt head hex is designed for a 3/8" wrench - which is supposed to be 3/8" (the bolt hex or the wrench) and what is the standard clearance/tolerance?

The wrench is oversize relative to the nominal dimension, and the hex (bolt head) tolerance ranges from "right on" nominal to slightly undersized.  For the 3/8" hex example, the wrench opening (flat-to-flat dimension) is 0.378 to 0.384.  The bolt hex is .375 to .362.  Both are standard for unified standard bolts & nuts per ANSI B18.2.<<

Long story short, manufacturing tolerances exist and I believe at their extreme, can cause damage to stubborn fasteners and/or fasteners made from soft material.

Every 14mm tool has to fit every 14mm fastener and nobody wants to have to possess the steady hands of a Surgeon to place that tool on the fastener, so we end up with close enough...most of the time...

...other times we get rounded fasteners.

What if when we encounter a sloppy fit between a wrench and a fastener, maybe even after some rounding has occured like in your case, we could lessen or even eliminate the gap between with a feeler gauge blade?

Let's see if we can make the wrench flats stay in contact with the flats on the fastener, instead of rotating independently of the fastener and engaging the corners, because of the play between the 2, and rounding off those corners...

Out to the garage...

Grabbed a bolt and a nut from a Kawasaki. Both use a 14mm tool.

A .356mm feeler gauge blade fit between the wrench and the bolt and a .330mm blade fit between the wrench and the nut, taking all discernible play out from between the 2. Quite a bit of play in my opinion.

After this little test, I believe using a feeler gauge blade to remove the play between a wrench and a fastener, where there is a lot of play between the 2, will reduce the chances of rounding off fasteners and might be especially helpful when dealing with soft material like your oil filter screen cover.

Of course, this is only a static test; your results may vary.

Almost makes me want to round-off a bolt and try it.  :o

What's $5-$10 for a set of "multi-purpose" feeler gauges?  ;)

I heard you can even check valve clearances with them.  ::)

...Markets a set of narrower feeler gauge material, so they fit unmodified in the range of tool sizes along with a set of heavy duty 6 point wrenches...

I'm keeping my day job<😜

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 02:38:26 PM by redridinghood »

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »
Quote from: redridinghood
<SNIP> Or a cresceent wrench was always used.

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:21 PM »
Is that a misspelling of Channellock pliers? 🙃

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 11:24:10 PM »
Is that a misspelling of Channellock pliers? 🙃
Oops, that's a misspelling of crescent wrench. You know, the wrench with the adjustable knurled screw to make it fit different sized bolt heads?