Author Topic: OIL USE WARNING  (Read 3304 times)

DougReid

• View Profile
OIL USE WARNING
« on: July 18, 2011, 12:08:22 AM »
I am finding that my oil use has increased dramatically - haven't done an accurate measure but will from now on.

I estimate that I am using about 500ml (half a litre) of oil every 1000 kms.

I will start checking more regularly and confirm if my estimate is right.

Only holds 1.5 litres !!!

Worst thing for the engine (and my pocket) would be to run out of oil!!!

Anyone any comment?

Regards
Doug

phipsd

• View Profile
Re: OIL USE WARNING
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:44:40 PM »
I've had several bikes that had oil usage issues when running the specified 10-40 motorcycle oil. They included a 1980 Kawasaki KZ 750, my 02 V-strom 1000, an 03 Intruder 1400 and my 08 Suzuki C 90 Bagger. The solution for all of these bikes was to switch to a 15-40 diesel oil.

These days the V-Strom and the C90 get Rotella T because it is JASO approved for wet clutches, but for our scooters that's not an issue. There are no oil usage issues with my Citycom (same engine) but I don't take it above an honest 110 kph ever. I don't need to, I have the big bikes for that.

My resident engineer, a retired Navy Chief told me years ago that any oil that would keep high pressure turbo diesels happy for a long time is very good oil and would work wonderfully well in bikes. If my Com started using oil, that's what I would use.

Ronnie Ventura

• (formerly Uncle Burger)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »
Highly unusual when you say "has increased dramatically" - meaning, it didn't used to burn oil like it does now, or it does burn oil but not at the current rate.

500ml within 1,000km is a huge loss of engine oil for any 2-wheeler. Do have it checked out proper by your mechanic/dealer.

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:13:58 PM »
It could easily be an oil issue  not a bike issue especially in high temps. I've had numerous bikes start to use 500 ml or more in a 500 km day after about 2000 km on the change when travelling in the heat. A 10-40 synthetic was one way to solve the problem but on the Strom I found it caused clutch issues.

Running 15-40 in the same bikes solved all my problems without having to go to a hotter running 20-50.

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »
If you have a bike that runs fine for some time and then suddenly starts to use large amounts of oil; it could be a mechanical problem. OTOH when a fresh change of the same oil stops the oil usage for another 2000 km then I would begin to suspect the viscosity of the oil breaking down.

As I stated I have had this problem; a sudden increase of oil usage with a number of bikes including an almost new C90 suzuki. A more expensive synthetic was one answer, another was high quality fleet oils. They are tested in engine durability testing extensively in a way that no motorcycle oil is. It is simply too expensive.

Ronnie Ventura

• (formerly Uncle Burger)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »
It is unusual for SYM bikes here in equatorial climate Malaysia, where the average surface temperature all year long is 33deg C (91deg F). None of the SYM bikes I know of personally (about 30 of them, likely more) burned oil, irregardless of type (mineral/semi/synthetic) or viscosity used.

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 01:35:59 PM »
That's good to know. I know that my Citycom runs happily on Mobil 1 5=40 diesel oil. Your experience makes it less likely that it was specifically an oil issue, but not impossible.  Back in the day when I ran service stations I often saw cars run very low. It would happen with Honda's. They would run great for 80000 km then they would start to use a little oil.

Most people wouldn't think to check because their cars had never used any before and the sad result is that the cars were often run very low. Then the serious oil usage began. 20-50 helped and it was surprising how long those cars would run if the oil was kept topped up. Another 200,000 km wasn't uncommon.

The question is : " What are the options with a ceramic cylinder engine?"

CaptainKGB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »
T6 5w40 in my both my Victorys, my Buell and now my SYM. Better cold flow and retains viscosity index better and longer in the extreme AZ heat.

YMMV
Regards,
CaptainKGB

Kiwiscoot

• Scootaholic - Down Under New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 10:52:47 PM »
Doug it could be a dirty air-cleaner combined with your South-African high speed riding. ;D
I've seen a dirty air-cleaner cause oil consumption on my Citycom as the engine then labours to get air and draws more from the engine breather pipe. It is all your "High Veld" dust this time of the year.
Well brother I'd say too much 120kph-130kph on the Randburg concrete highway that's my verdict!! :o ha ha Used to be a m/c mecca at 2:00 am in the morning - saw 215kph on my Honda there.. ::)
Citycom 300i - 46 000+ kms what a blast.
Citycom review: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=200cc&action=display&thread=16772