Author Topic: What is This Fluid in the Air Filter Compartment?  (Read 457 times)

CarefulRider

• View Profile
What is This Fluid in the Air Filter Compartment?
« on: April 22, 2016, 07:31:52 AM »
Hello All:

It was time to clean the air filter element (how the heck do I clean it; blow air in the reverse direction?), & when I unscrewed & removed the air filter, I noticed this liquid had flowed out from the oval opening behind the filter.

Any thoughts & ideas as to what the liquid is? Is it normal? If not, how to prevent it from forming/coming into the air filter compartment?

The above photo is what is exposed after the air cleaner housing cover is removed. I have removed the air filter also. You can see the oval opening leading to the carburetor, I presume, & the darkened area where the liquid discolored the plastic as it flowed down into & behind the air filter.

Photo above zooms into the air filter area itself. There was an ever so slight odor of gasoline for a short while after I had removed the filter element, until it evaporated, I guess. The liquid you see, however, did not evaporate.

Upon removing the air filter element, the liquid flowed out from behind the element & down to the end of the housing.

Hope you have some explanation(s) & solution/suggestion(s) to this condition.

I vacuumed the filter element, cleaned out the liquid & put it all back together.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:17:12 AM by CarefulRider »
Don't grow old; & choose your parents well

DE DEE

• View Profile
Re: What is This Fluid in the Air Filter Compartment?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 02:46:59 AM »
If it is like my scooter it is gear oil #90,   check the top of the gear case you should see a small tube that go,s to the back of the air filter,  and when you put to much oil in the gear case, it foams and over flows to the air filter,.