Author Topic: Clutch slipping?  (Read 650 times)

evogt

• View Profile
Clutch slipping?
« on: March 28, 2016, 03:28:35 PM »
I'm new to this scooter.  It is an 07 model, with 3000 miles.  When I start off on it, the clutch seems to take up to 3-5 seconds to fully engage with WOT...  On a normal bike, I would feel the clutch is slipping.  I'm not sure if this is normal behavior for a centrifugal set up. 

I changed the transmission oil, using the correct hypoid oil, hoping that would help, but no joy.  Did my best to get 100cc of oil in, but maybe was off a little.  Is the performance of the clutch affected by slight variations in oil amount.  Should I try adding a little more oil at a time to see if it helps? 

Any and all feed back or help would be appreciated. 

Tromper

• View Profile
Re: Clutch slipping?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 05:13:20 PM »
There's a tetch of slip on the HD200 (same clutch).  When it got to the point that it was noticeable for more than a second or so I popped it open and deglazed the clutch with some sandpaper.
Really not a big deal, but if you let it get away from you it can become an issue.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

evogt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:59:36 PM »
Can you point me to someplace that shows how to deglaze the clutch? I really have no documentation on this scooter at all.  Something on utube or another link to the process.  Thankx.. Eric

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:37:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLmTPJc7k8I is part 1 of belt replacement on an HD200.
You can see more links at http://www.jeffs-hotsauces.com/firedrakehome.htm#Upgrade%20Section

The clutch is the pads and bell that's on the rear wheel. Once you've pulled the bell off you'll be able to see if the surfaces are a bit glassy or blued.  if so you sand them lightly to break up the glazing a bit.  Don't overdo it, & don't sand one down more than others.  It really doesn't take much.  depending on your miles and such you may want to replace the belt while you're in there too.  It's a bit if a PITA, but half of the fight is getting there.
I DO recommend either making a tool like he has or buying one off ebay, or a dealer before undertaking this.
You can take it apart with an impact wrench, but do not put the bike back together with one.  Use hand tools, preferably a torque wrench for the final tweak.
Disclaimers:
This was done on closed course by trained professionals. Caveat emptor. Carpe diem. Don't try this at home kids.  If you break something it is nobody's fault but your own.  If you're nervous about handling this consult a shop.  I assume no responsibility for any of this, or any of a number of other things.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

evogt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 11:10:48 PM »
Thanks, that helps a lot.