Author Topic: LED Replacement Headlight  (Read 5469 times)

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
Re: LED Replacement Headlight
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 03:12:43 PM »
Well, it looks like I won't be able to do the evaluation after all. Once again, the over heating bug has cropped up.

Northpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 12:26:28 PM »
@ Homer Sympson:  Did the little fan fail, causing overheating?
2009 SYM HD200

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2016, 09:08:44 AM »
Thank you again Northpilot for bringing up the LED headlight swap, I had forgotten how this simple and effective upgrade came to my attention.

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 01:19:07 AM »
Northpilot - It was not the led that was overheating, it was my engine, so I didn't feel comfortable riding it all that way. I believe I may need a new thermal switch.

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 09:53:07 PM »
  I got around to installing the led bulb today and it is WAY brighter than the stock bulb. It was a bit of a PITA since there were no instructions. I did figure it out with a little trial and error, though. I feel the collar or mounting ring isn't as solid as I'd like, but we'll see how it holds up. Also, it's a little odd in that the high beam is just a little bit brighter, but still, I feel it's a good choice. I'll report back in a few weeks. I ride about 15 miles a day on the highway, so my bike is subject to a lot of vibration, so I should be able to supply a pretty good durability test.

Forty45

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »
I've ordered what I think is the LED bulb Northpilot bought. Has anyone replaced the sidelight bulbs or are they left as is? Mine is a 2011 model with just one large headlamp.

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 05:59:30 PM »
I just left those alone.

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 03:15:47 AM »
  Alright, so I just did a run from Sarasota back to St. Pete on I-275, and I learned two things; first, NOT thread related, but if I keep my speed to 65 mph, I don't over-heat. Second, and important to this thread, is that my headlight has been rock solid. It's not so much as flickered.
  Well, first, the more important observation. With just low beam, this bulb provides 6-7 seconds of light at 65 mph. So if you're travelling along at 65 mph, you'll be able to see deer eyes at least 6-7 seconds before you reach them. So, even on low-beam, no chance of outrunning your headlights. This was on low beam while wearing "rose" tinted eye-wear. On high-beam with no eye-wear, I'd say maybe 10 seconds.
 Second, high-beam does NOT raise the hot-spot, but rather, increases overall lumen output and sends a bit more spill higher. This was both my naked eye observation, plus an utter lack of other drivers being pissed off while I was approaching them or behind them.
  So, I give an enthusiastic two thumbs up to the LED lamp that hsympson and Northpilot first tried. I, of course, have not tried the HID kit that Scosgt tried, but it may be an option for those who have issues with bluish light, as the led is a bit blue, but not terribly so.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:35:34 PM by Homer Sympson »

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 01:27:07 PM »
The one I suggested is way way brighter.

Forty45

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2017, 11:04:18 AM »
Bulb arrived. Very impressed with how bright it is on dipped. I did not lower the angle of the beam and have not been flashed by oncoming cars so it must be OK. Main beam does not add much to the party, but I'm not sure I need much more light anyway.
I agree with the comment about the rubber shroud. I think it will need something to cover the bulb's fan for weather protection so I'm going to look into getting a better fitting one. I made the mistake of trying to modify the original.
I have also ordered some LED sidelight bulbs as the originals are yellow against the centre bulb.

Forty45

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2017, 10:58:23 AM »
I have now fitted LED sidelights which go well with the centre bulb. I have a rubber bulb cover ordered now.

Northpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »
Could you please spec out the LED side bulbs?  Source, model and price?  I would like to do this mod.

Thank you.
2009 SYM HD200

Forty45

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 01:20:19 PM »
This is a link to what I bought as I'm in the UK, but I'm sure they can be found elsewhere. There are are cheaper, but these had the best reviews.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L9BQ2DS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Northpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2017, 09:49:02 PM »
Thanks for speccing out ... I should have no problem finding in the U.S.
2009 SYM HD200

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2018, 05:43:27 AM »
Any long term report on this Northpilot?
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650