Author Topic: CityCom gone to heaven!  (Read 2282 times)

sc00ter

• View Profile
CityCom gone to heaven!
« on: December 03, 2015, 12:18:51 AM »
Yup, it finally died. Have yet to take it apart and see what failed but due to the slip of the transmission/brief lock up/super loud scraping noise/no more motion/ sudden engine vibration I think the end of the crack shaft broke off or the threads for the variator nut sheared off. Gonna see if the semi-local scooter shop wants it for parts. If anyone is near Norfolk VA hit me up. Not parting it out, whole scoot or nothing. Post my findings on the failure when I pull it apart, just in case anyone wants to know what failed and/or how.

sc00ter

• View Profile
Re: CityCom gone to heaven!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 09:57:35 PM »
Ok, I did the belt at 28,800 miles and it turns out the variator nut came off at 37,000. It was torqued to 80Nm's BUT I did not put thread lock on the crank end as a precaution. Result is damaged vario nut, fixed sheeve fins shaved down to nothing, end of crank threads chewed up and the strange part-the vario boss is fused to the crank! It has been decided to junk the City. Again, if you are coming out towards Norfolk, VA hit me up.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »
Last call for alcohol. I will dump it as far north of Washington D.C. (to visit sister) OR as far south as South of the Border N.C./S.C. border. Whole scooter for FREE. You all get first shot. New tires, new rear rotor (front STILL not here!) both BIG and stock windshields, rear rack, newer battery, recently recovered seat, new drive belt, might be fixable-Im done with it. I was gonna haul it to the scrap metal man if I have no takers but a friend wants to part it out on fleaBay for some reason. So, if no takers I will post when the parts go on fleaBay. I personally do not need the money and I dont have space or time to break it down myself. Hit me up thru the forum, I will give everyone 1 week from today to reply before friend gets it.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:56:32 AM »
No takers on the FREE CityCom? Will also haul west as far as Richmond, VA-maybe further if there is someplace to visit. Friend will still fleaBay it parted out if there are no takers. This Sunday is the deadline. PM me and/or respond thru this thread if interested in the FREE CityCom!

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 05:05:08 PM »
Got no takers so its going to the fleaBay friend. I know one of you have/had a CityCom with a missing floorboard panel and if you still need it PM me and I will hold it for you. I will see if he wants to set sale anything for the rest of you, since I hate fleaBay-and Im sure Im not the only one. If anyone else is interested in something hit me up via PM and I will do my best at holding it aside for you. Trust me, I KNOW how hard parts are to get!

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »
No takers on anything? FleaBay guy is coming over this weekend to pick it up, so if you need something specific hit me up ASAP. He was talking of trying to fix it and selling it as a runner, but when the wife and I got it home I just shoved it off the side of the trailer, messing up the right hand side. Aside from that I also took a big chunk out of the crank threads trying to get the variator boss off of the crank shaft. I feel I got my money out of it, just sucks it died AFTER putting new tires on it. Oh well, now I have to find a replacement.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 11:42:38 PM »
My friend finally picked the CityCom up so my motorcycle trailer has a place to park again. It got attacked with a sledge hammer while still here, so not many panels are salvageable, but other stuff did not get hit. I have/had a VERY short temper for that scooter and it had it coming! Call me a spaz, you were not the one to get stranded OR have tried to obtain parts to keep it running (STILL no front rotor!). I dont know his plans for it yet, Im just glad to see it gone. Will let anyone who cares know what happens to it next.

thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 09:12:02 PM »
Sorry to hear she died... and no takers for parts ! I woulda snapped that up if I was local.... anyway, any plans to buy another?

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »
Never! We got the 2014 Suzuki Burgman 200. Nice little scoot so far, and we have her Can-Am Spyder for the big roads. I junked the CityCom to a friend, but now its leaning against the back of his shed. Think he honestly forgot about it! Still have the front rotor. Wheels are still good, have new City Grips installed. Seat was just recovered. Still starts up. Again, if anyone needs anything-let me know via PM or respond to this thread and I will remind him he has it rotting behind his shed.

Thosoneill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 08:09:33 AM »
Are you saying that the Citycom died due to incorrect fitment of the drive belt - if so seems unfair to say you'd "never" have another

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 09:48:02 AM »
Not pulling the motor apart, but there is a tiny bit of end play on the stator side. I think the main bearing on that side is going out as I have noticed a bit of mystery vibration around three months before the failure of the vario nut coming off. Not saying SYM makes a bad product at all, and I might have bought another one, but I like having normal options like PAPER factory service manuals (Im old school), online parts sources with exploded views/prices so I know what I need BEFORE ordering parts, brick and mortar options that know/care about the products (my Lance dealer "forgot" to call me when the "correct" part came in)-normal brand things. Even Hyosung has online parts diagrams/service manuals/ordering options! So I just went back to a mainstream brand. Again, SYM's are nice, but I like my Burgmans overall support. SYM deserves to be be in that Burgman league also. Was "Never" to strong of a word? I bought a 200cc for the price of a new CityCom, and I would have had a extra parts CityCom. I think my wallet spoke for me on that one!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:07:45 AM by sc00ter »

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 09:33:47 PM »
Only reason I'm back here. The FleaBay friend is moving and I think he is going to just haul the CityCom to the dump. He has no place to store it and has not laid a wrench on it since he took it. I think this IS the final call. Same terms apply as before.....

Panjet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 11:31:22 PM »
If I'm not too late, what color is it? Are most of the panels in good shape? Shoot me a PM!!

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 09:08:09 PM »
Hey Panjet, I sent ya a PM. Note above in the thread that the panels got "removed" with a sledgehammer when I hurt my hand, so none of them are any good. I believe the new owner of the CityCom is going to haul it to the recycle man next weekend. Has no place to store it and it is far to damaged to try and repair it now.