Author Topic: Potential $2 fix to gas cap leak/arrestor wear  (Read 3087 times)

RidingIsFun

• View Profile
Potential $2 fix to gas cap leak/arrestor wear
« on: September 29, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »
So today my gas cap flew completely off during my ride. Backtracked a bit and could not find it. No use anyhow because it was no longer latching on to the arrestor properly.

Went to home depot and got a sink stopper. 1 3/8 diameter. It is a little big for the hole, but better than nothing. With 20 seconds of forming, it fits the hole tightly and we're back in business! Here's a pic: http://1drv.ms/1iZT6sR
I'm pleased it almost even seals the little cut outs for the gas cap.

So pissed at myself for buying this scooter. Nothing but problems. Why didn't I spend the extra cash and get a Honda?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 05:50:36 PM by RidingIsFun »
2012 HD200 Evo
Puig 992 Windscreen

Etamni

• View Profile
Re: Potential $2 fix to gas cap leak/arrestor wear
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 09:42:44 PM »
I'd be interested in knowing how well this works after awhile.  Does the fuel eat the rubber?  Does it stay in place?  :)
2012 Sym HD200 EVO

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »
Unfortunate for you but is this the only problem with it?  Although I don't foresee this problem with mine I would probably try to make a fuel filler neck and cap work, something like this:
http://www.fueltankparts.com/2-25-ratchet-cap-pressure-relief-vent-with-tether-and-aluminum-neck.html
The OD of the HD filler neck measures a hair too large for the aluminum neck but if the ID of the neck is too small I bet a machine shop could bore it out some or with aluminum it would be easy enough to bore out at home with a drum sander on a drill.  Maybe the plastic shroud around the filler neck would need to have the hole enlarged some.  Silicone or JB weld as an adhesive, anyway that is what I would try if it happened to mine instead of a rubber drain plug.

I like my HD and wouldn't trade it for any other brand similar displacement scooter. 

xiboca

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 04:09:25 PM »
Copy of this thread sent to Mike at Alliance.

Maybe they can come up with a solution that meets all government requirements....

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 05:16:16 PM »
Every state/country might be different, but California has Lemon Laws and Emissions Control Laws for motorcycles. Basically giving you some protection from manufacturers who can't find a way to fix your bike. If they can't find you a gas cap, maybe they owe you a whole new bike...gas cap found.  :-*

RidingIsFun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 10:55:20 AM »
I'd be interested in knowing how well this works after awhile.  Does the fuel eat the rubber?  Does it stay in place?  :)
It did stay in place until the rubber starting absorbing the gasoline and got too big to fit back in the hole  :o Was a cheap easy solution, but now I am lost again. :-\

I noticed something VERY IMPORTANT. I think the problem is in fact the shape of the filler neck/arrestor. Mine is no longer a perfect circle. I think I remember someone pointed this out earlier but I didn't pay close enough attention. The hole is now oblong and this changes the groves where the tabs on the cap initially go. The channels that the tabs would naturally slide behind are now too far away for the tabs to go behind. This is why it wasn't sealing any longer and gas leaked all over the paint of my bike.

My new theory for some people having the problem and others not is that I ride with 2 up a lot. My wife, who is only 140 lbs, rides on the back seat maybe once a week. I think her weight potentially squishes the filler neck/arrestor and has changed the shape of the plastic enough to keep the gas cap from properly fitting.

How many people ride with two up a lot and have this problem? Anyone have the problem who seldom rides with two up?

Regarding the LEMON LAW suggestion, in my state of residence, the motorcycle has to be less than 24 months old for the issue to be of interest. My scooter didn't start having this problem until just after that time, and if it had, I would have done a warranty claim with Alliance. I'm sure they would have just installed a new tank and let the cycle repeat itself...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:18:18 AM by RidingIsFun »
2012 HD200 Evo
Puig 992 Windscreen

xiboca

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 01:03:17 PM »
I ride "one-up", and have had this condition since I purchased the scooter (new).
The dealer that I bought the scooter from went out of business shortly after I purchased the scooter.

I went to the another dealer (100 miles) they were very cordial, but offered no assistance or solution.

I have spoken with Mike at Alliance, and they are aware that some owners are experiencing this problem. Alliance has notified SYM, but are not offering any correction under warranty.

RidingIsFun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 07:04:48 AM »
I ride "one-up", and have had this condition since I purchased the scooter (new).
The dealer that I bought the scooter from went out of business shortly after I purchased the scooter.

I went to the another dealer (100 miles) they were very cordial, but offered no assistance or solution.

I have spoken with Mike at Alliance, and they are aware that some owners are experiencing this problem. Alliance has notified SYM, but are not offering any correction under warranty.
Thanks for your efforts. We can only hope a solution is found that we can all live with...otherwise, the customers get the short end of the stick.
2012 HD200 Evo
Puig 992 Windscreen

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
So today my gas cap flew completely off during my ride. Backtracked a bit and could not find it. No use anyhow because it was no longer latching on to the arrestor properly.

Went to home depot and got a sink stopper. 1 3/8 diameter. It is a little big for the hole, but better than nothing. With 20 seconds of forming, it fits the hole tightly and we're back in business! Here's a pic: http://1drv.ms/1iZT6sR

So pissed at myself for buying this scooter. Nothing but problems. Why didn't I spend the extra cash and get a Honda?

Riding: I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I owned an HD200 that gave me a decent amount of problems. The carb was an issue many times for me, also several other complications. Lucky I sold her for a semi-decent price recently. I purchased a new 2015 leftover Honda PCX & I must admit it I find it to be a night/day scenario vs. the HD200. FI is so much nicer to deal with. The PCX just feels more advanced. Slightly less HP (13.4 vs. 15.3) I do love the look f the HD200, but I'll take parts availability & reliability every time. Even though the PCX has a rear drum, I find breaking to be much better. I hope you can fix your issues. I wanted to chime-in as you mentioned Honda in your thread. Good Luck. 

RidingIsFun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »

Riding: I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I owned an HD200 that gave me a decent amount of problems. The carb was an issue many times for me, also several other complications. Lucky I sold her for a semi-decent price recently. I purchased a new 2015 leftover Honda PCX & I must admit it I find it to be a night/day scenario vs. the HD200. FI is so much nicer to deal with. The PCX just feels more advanced. Slightly less HP (13.4 vs. 15.3) I do love the look f the HD200, but I'll take parts availability & reliability every time. Even though the PCX has a rear drum, I find breaking to be much better. I hope you can fix your issues. I wanted to chime-in as you mentioned Honda in your thread. Good Luck.

Yea, really regretting life decisions recently; been buying lower quality products due to their lower initial cost but end up with a headache and a lot of wasted money in maintenance in the long run. Needless to say it's been frustrating fighting with dealers and Alliance too. And of course it can't be sold with a leaking gas cap now. I may try to find a solution and sell in the spring...
2012 HD200 Evo
Puig 992 Windscreen

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 09:51:34 AM »
Riding: I was in the same boat as you brother. I scored a leftover HD200 for $2900 OTD. The Honda PCX 150 would have been near $4000 after all the BS fees. I loved the way the HD rode. Really very sweet overall. Just that it wasn't reliable for me. I'm sure other people have had better luck. The SYM HD200 is a solid scooter based on an older technology. The Honda PCX is so much better, I should have just "bit-the-bullet" a few years back & paid the extra coin. Maybe you can sell it down the road. Fingers crossed for you my scooter friend!

Wish I could upload some pics here, but doesn't seem to have that option.   

Kokines

• Go BIG or Go HOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 09:42:42 AM »
 ;D Fixed mine for about $10

After looking into getting the official fix, I was told by my dealer in Austin, TX that I was going to have to replace the entire gas tank...Was going to cost over $500. SCREW that! I'll fix the thing myself, especially not knowing if the problem might happen again.

So, I used 1" PVC piping into the fuel neck with a threaded adapter on the outer end to screw on the cap used PVC glue all over the outer portion of the pipe as it was already a nice snug fit. I took fix-it putty and squished and shaped it around the small opening on the neck to prevent any leaks.

http://bit.do/fixitputty

Jimmy rigged, but it works and didn't break the bank.

Black 2012 SYM HD200 EVO | 9k miles and counting^

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 11:03:45 AM »
I have a '12 also.  How many miles did you have on yours when the cap problem occurred?  I wonder why some experience this problem but most don't.  I only have a couple thousand miles on mine but I don't see any evidence of any filler cap looseness or other issues with it.  $500 for a replacement tank is outrageous, SYM obviously has issues and can't be serious about a north America presence - given the low scooter sales in N. America they probably couldn't care less anyway.

Good job with yours.  If mine goes bad I still think I would use a marine type filler neck and cap.  They are about $10-$15 for nylon, more for aluminum or stainless.   It would take some work to make one fit though.

Kokines

• Go BIG or Go HOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 11:29:03 AM »
I have a '12 also.  How many miles did you have on yours when the cap problem occurred?  I wonder why some experience this problem but most don't.  I only have a couple thousand miles on mine but I don't see any evidence of any filler cap looseness or other issues with it.  $500 for a replacement tank is outrageous, SYM obviously has issues and can't be serious about a north America presence - given the low scooter sales in N. America they probably couldn't care less anyway.

Good job with yours.  If mine goes bad I still think I would use a marine type filler neck and cap.  They are about $10-$15 for nylon, more for aluminum or stainless.   It would take some work to make one fit though.

I made it to 6500 miles before the cap wouldn't stay on any longer....My guess the cause of the issue could be a bad batch of tanks, or maybe the temperate region where its located?

Kokines

• Go BIG or Go HOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 07:17:00 AM »
That does look nicer, I probably would have gone that route had I known about those...