Author Topic: GAS CAP DOES NOT LOCK WHEN TANK FULL/ GAS LEAKS  (Read 2415 times)

pele101

• View Profile
GAS CAP DOES NOT LOCK WHEN TANK FULL/ GAS LEAKS
« on: September 03, 2015, 05:14:01 PM »
Has anybody had this issue? I have a SYM HD200 evo 2013 and for 2 years i have had this issue that when i fill the tank, the gas cap won't close a tight seal and gas leaks out of gas tank. I can even pull out the gas cap without the key. Once gas goes below 1/2 tank then gas cap works fine. i turn it again and it locks and is a good seal. No gas leaks anymore. Surprisingly the gas cap does not like tank full and automatically shuts off it seems!! Can somebody tell me why this is happening. I read some forums already and unplugged the hose connected to the neck of gas tank. I did this yesterday. Any other suggestions? I even took it to my dealer and they could not understand what was happening. They thought that my gas tank was defective and changed it free of charge and gas cap too a while ago. I get the feeling it has to with "venting or some hoses" but I am not an expert and need your advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

beagle

• View Profile
Re: GAS CAP DOES NOT LOCK WHEN TANK FULL/ GAS LEAKS
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 06:24:13 PM »
Pele, Welcome to the "Petro on the Pant Leg" club. This problem has been around since 2008 according to the forum posts.

pele101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 06:08:40 AM »
I just want to clarify that the leak on my scooter is not in air filter or down under the tank. I don't have that problem where gas comes leaking into inside air filter. My scooter leaks out of neck of gas tank when gas cap does not get a tight seal for some reason.

blugg1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:30:06 AM »
Mine is fiddly to get off and back on, and I think it is a crappy design.  Motorcycle tank gas caps are much better and don't leak (a crotch soaked in petrol would be a deal breaker, to say the least0.  Maybe try lubing it?
Bisbee, AZ
2014 Kawasaki 300 Ninja
2012 SYM HD 200

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »
Unfortunately an all too common issue - the only fix is to replace fuel tank. I have discontinued selling  the HD200, until next year when they will be fuel injected.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:33:48 AM by ootscoot »
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

pele101

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »
Thanks all of you for your responses. Obviously this scooter has an issue and we are stuck with it and my solution is to sell it instead of dealing with this problem every day and getting gas on my pants and shoes. Oootscoot thanks for posting positive comments and for the knowledge it helps in some ways. I will try to see how to solve this issue myself by applying my own tricks but I think it will have to get a new owner!!! I emailed SYM info@alliance... and notified them of my issue yesterday and perhaps they could take this problem into consideration and replace all of our scooters for another one since it is not our fault but a flaw!! But i don't think this will happen. I am out and peace to all!!!

SandRat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 08:52:41 PM »
Interesting.  I have a 2015 HD200 evo and have not had this problem.  I fill the tank until the nozzle clicks once and that is it.  The cap seems to seal fine and I see no fuel leaking.  I actually can (and have done so) add more fuel until it clicks a second time without issue.  But, I choose not to press my luck by doing this.  I have done it a few times, but I do not believe I gain all that much by doing this.  I do wish the filler neck was on the opposite side, however. That way, when the kick stand is put down, and the scoot leans to the left, the filler neck would be on the upside of the lean instead of the downside.

AMAC1680

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 03:27:24 AM »
Interesting.  I have a 2015 HD200 evo and have not had this problem.  I fill the tank until the nozzle clicks once and that is it.  The cap seems to seal fine and I see no fuel leaking.  I actually can (and have done so) add more fuel until it clicks a second time without issue.  But, I choose not to press my luck by doing this.  I have done it a few times, but I do not believe I gain all that much by doing this.  I do wish the filler neck was on the opposite side, however. That way, when the kick stand is put down, and the scoot leans to the left, the filler neck would be on the upside of the lean instead of the downside.

My bet is if you fueled up on the center stand you would end up with the fuel issue stated by others.

AMAC

karlu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 07:34:23 AM »
Hi...I must admit to having a tough time with the gas cap on my '14 HD200 evo after filling, but I think it has been my error in not observing how the cap fit. I always put the scooter on the center stand when filling, and have never had the problem with the gas cap leaking.

Gas in the crankcase has happened four times until I pulled all the California emission crap. I was forced to change the oil four times in the first 600 miles! Now there is no air box or crankcase fuel, and no leakage from the gas cap. The dealer was absolutely of no help in curing this problem.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this continues!

Karla

marco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »

My bet is if you fueled up on the center stand you would end up with the fuel issue stated by others.

AMAC

Aha, filling with the deadly kickstand rather than the center stand helps with over filling issues - thanks for the tip!
-------
Washington State
2008 Sym HD200
2006 Kymco People 150

pele101

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
UPDATE, UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!
I have sued SYM for their defective gas tank metal to plastic wear. Initially this was a bad decision on SYM of cutting costs and doing a gas cap metal to plastic gas tank. It wears the plastic on the gas tank and we all paid for it. I posted this discussion when I thought it was only my scooter the defective one and how I should find a solution to fixing it. No way. There is nothing to fix. It was defective. This lawsuit took me 2 years and it was worth it. Sym specially Mike Hickman tried to fight it and put all kinds of excuses such as: I did not know how to put gas cap on, not known defects on this model, nobody has ever complained, we will fight the lawsuit with an army of lawyers (no lawyer showed up), i will replace model with same one, I (Mike) don't want to pay attorney fees so I want to settle and give you lots of money minus attorney fees, SYM tried delaying trial many times and finding all kinds of excuses. Let it be known SYM has fooled many of us customers of SYM HD200 evo model in making us think it was our scooter the only defective or it was your fault messing with the tank (gas leak). Don't try to fix it. Just sue them. I won and you can win too. Do not believe Mike he is a bullshitter and will try to change your mind. It did not work for me. I put him in his place!!! Now Mike Hickman is in jeopardy of losing his job for bullshitting many dealers and customers. These lawsuits are coming out of his paycheck i hope.
Many dealers have cancelled orders and hundreds of customers have had defective issues. Do not settle for less!!! Next post I will include settlement details and copy of check that was made out to me. It was worth winning instead of living with a defective scooter and SYM knowing they ripped you off. Don't just stand there and accept their apologies. They took your money and now is time to get it back!!! You can respond to this thread and I will provide the attorney to seek in filing a lawsuit and how to win this issue. If you need additional details you can respond here and I will provide you with exact details. Fight the bullshitters and the corporations trying to rip us off by selling us a scooter that they know it will not work in the long run!!!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:56:28 PM by pele101 »

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 09:56:59 PM »
My 2012 with 4,000 miles has started to do the same thing even though I have been very careful with removing and replacing the cap at fill ups.  The plastic of the filler neck is obviously worn down where the metal cap flanges rest when the cap is fully installed/locked.  In an old thread Ootscoot indicated he stopped selling the HD200 due to this issue.  I visited the NHTSA web site and reported this as an issue with risk of fuel spill which could result in fire as well as venting gasoline fumes to the atmosphere and contamination of fuel in the tank.  Maybe if everyone who has this issue also reported it that might make some difference?  Maybe not but it does appear to me to be a NHTSA reportable issue and they state all reports are evaluated.

By the way it doesn't matter with my scooter if the tank is full or not, the plastic on the filler neck where the metal cap flanges contact when the cap is closed/locked is worn/deformed which does not allow for a tight fit and the cap can be removed or potentially fall of when fully closed/locked

pele101

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 10:59:08 PM »
HSYMPSON,
you have stated the all too common symptoms that many of us have had with a defective gas tank. You are right after a while the gas cap does not get a tight fit and it wears out the tube inside the tank where they make contact. I also reported this to the NHTSA and nothing happened. I tried everything out there and even writing SYM in Taiwan but nobody wanted to take responsibility. So I got tired and ended up filing a lawsuit and I won. This has happened to hundreds of customers out there and we were just handed a bad defective scooter that is all!!! You can file a lawsuit under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and this a federal law and it covers you under defective vehicles or where a manufacturer (SYM) fails to honor the warranty and breaches the contract. You can look up attorneys that practice this type of law usually consumer attorneys. The attorney gets paid by the company (SYM) and you don't have to pay a cent is FREE. The company (SYM) pays you as well only if you win the lawsuit. 

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »
the two year warranty on my HD200 (a '12 bought new in April '15) would have already expired a few months ago.  I'm happy for you that you prevailed but I am not interested in lawyers and lawsuits anyway even if my warranty was still in effect.   Still, personally I think it is a good idea for anyone affected with this defective tank/cap to contact the NHTSA, it only takes a few minutes to enter and who knows maybe a recall could be initiated if NHTSA gets a large enough number of entries.  This seems like a valid safety issue to me.

pele101

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 05:04:24 PM »
hsympson
I see you are pushing the idea of filing claims with the NHTSA for persons affected with the gas leak scooter. I suggest you start a new discussion and include this on your subject. I don't know if it will work but you can give it a try. If many affected customers can file complaints then probably they would take action against SYM and look into it and maybe recall all those scooters from circulating. Is worth the try. I filed my claim with the NHTSA years ago. Good luck.