Author Topic: Broken Belt Roadside Fix  (Read 2597 times)

skootz

• View Profile
Broken Belt Roadside Fix
« on: August 23, 2015, 05:54:51 PM »
Ha! The new belts got here this past week.
Ok, we always carry spare belts and the tools to change them.
We're on a short run on the by-pass, heading back home after a 100 mile tour
when I see Mr Skootz signal a right turn (where there's no place to turn) and bits of rubber
bouncing off the pavement behind him.
I knew it was his belt and we both pulled off.
Squishy shoulder-cars whizzing by. Luckily a litte way up,
there was one of those paved turnouts to no where, nicely shaded.

The belt didn't fray and slap..it just disintegrated.
The cording was bare and all wound up (see green arrows pointing to it)

The belt replacement took less than 10 minutes and we were back on the road.
Always a thanks to Jeff "The Fire Drake" member here who shows how to make the tool for changing the belts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLmTPJc7k8I

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Broken Belt Roadside Fix
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:51:56 PM »
How many miles were on the disintegrated belt?

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 09:37:18 PM »
I always write "NEW BELT-XXXXX miles" every time I change one with a Sharpie on the inside of the trans case, that way I can kinda predict how long they will last. I also check the belt with calipers just to gauge its wear. Now, the pen technique does not always work. I guess we got a bootleg belt or something but I had one chunk apart like the one in your picture without warning and after only about 300 miles. Kinda fun at 3am in the middle of nowhere, but we had roadside recovery.

skootz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 07:44:04 AM »
How many miles were on the disintegrated belt?
Way past the tech spec of 1000/1500 (?) miles. We actually think it was a used belt from my scooter.
I got a new variator a year ago...(memory/sieve)
I had gotten new SYM roller weights, so we put a new belt in with my new rollers and probably put my older
belt in the Mr's scooter.
We really should have kept a log on these. We will log the new belt installations from now on.
We check them occasionally, but they can go from "looks fine"
to "rubber chips" just like that!

skootz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
I always write "NEW BELT-XXXXX miles" every time I change one with a Sharpie on the inside of the trans case, that way I can kinda predict how long they will last. I also check the belt with calipers just to gauge its wear. Now, the pen technique does not always work. I guess we got a bootleg belt or something but I had one chunk apart like the one in your picture without warning and after only about 300 miles. Kinda fun at 3am in the middle of nowhere, but we had roadside recovery.
Yes, we check them occasionally.
I don't have an after market tach on my scooter, but the Mr does and he did notice his RPM's were
up a little, but that can also be roller wear too.
Since we carry spares and tools, this is really not a big issue.
I found our old log book and will go back to keeping notes on belts.
Most of the belt breaks we had in the past was stripping out of the cord,
cracking or bad edge wear.
This one went Bando Confetti!   :o

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »
Way past the tech spec of 1000/1500 (?) miles.

Sym HD200 owners manual specs 8,000 mile belt replacement.

Considering the potentially fatal consequences of the shredded belt cords locking up the rear wheel, and no way of REALLY knowing belt quality . . 5,000 mile belt replacement may be much more prudent.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:20:49 PM by tortoise »

skootz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »

Sym HD200 owners manual specs 8,000 mile belt replacement.

Considering the potentially fatal consequences of the shredded belt cords locking up the rear wheel, and no way or REALLY knowing belt quality . . 5,000 mile belt replacement may be much more prudent.

Thanks, haven't looked at the manual in ages.
We don't travel high speed roads very often. Most of the time we're on
rural-agricultural backroads going about 30-35 mph.
The cording is 5 strand poly or nylon and the recovered wad is broken in several places. It was not able to wind up
completely without breaking.
We have been pushing the belts because it was very difficult to get them for the HD125's.
They seem to be in supply now as we were just able to order some and not have to wait 3 months for them to come from
Taiwan.
Right after we bought the scooters in 2009, we were able to buy spare belts from the dealer and shortly after Carter Bros
fire in 2010, it was nearly impossible to find them and our SYM dealer went out of business.
We may be out of The Great Belt Depression now.

Thanks for posting! Much appreciated!

Took this last week after wash and shine:

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 10:12:02 PM »
Man them some clean scoots! I wish I knew how to post pictures, I could show you what happens when you dont keep 'em clean. Keeping everything you even "think" you need in stock parts wise is virtually impossible. I found new, still in the bag parts for a Honda Helix recently-and I have not owned one since 2010!

skootz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 07:10:40 AM »
Man them some clean scoots! I wish I knew how to post pictures, I could show you what happens when you dont keep 'em clean. Keeping everything you even "think" you need in stock parts wise is virtually impossible. I found new, still in the bag parts for a Honda Helix recently-and I have not owned one since 2010!
Mr Skootz is the maintenance guy and I do the detailing. They stay garaged and that helps a lot.
Parts: The first few years we had the scooters were scary and disappointing. Here we had these 2 bikes, no dealer,
the sole importer burned out, no belts or rollers on the east coast, and very few on the west coast. It looked pretty grim.
I spent hours on the phone calling dealers in the USA and Canada.
We bought a used scratch & dent newer HD200 "just in case".
Posting photos: You have to have an offsite photo storage (like free "Photobucket" or use Imgur).
Upload the photo to that location then use the image link to insert back here in your post.