Author Topic: New (Used) Sym Citycom 300i battery issues  (Read 8267 times)

cavenger

• View Profile
New (Used) Sym Citycom 300i battery issues
« on: July 01, 2015, 06:49:45 PM »
So I just got this scooter the other day. It had been sitting for at least 4 months. The first day I looked at it, it wouldn't start, so we jumped it. I took it for a spin and bought it the next day. However, I couldn't get it to start again when I started to put it on the trailer, so I figured the battery was having issues.

Last night I put the battery on a charger for a bit and then put it on and the scooter started right up. I left the battery in the scooter because I felt like i had ridden long enough for it to have charged.

Woke up this morning and it wouldn't start again. So I took it to Auto parts store and they tested it and said that it was good but it just needed a charge. Any advice?

Thank you! - Newbie.

cavenger

• View Profile
Re: New (Used) Sym Citycom 300i battery issues
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:02:53 PM »
oh and its on a charger now. I am going to try to dig out my multimeter and test the charging system.

cavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:38:41 PM »
Charged for a bit and then Put the multimeter on and got 12.5 with nothing connected. Then connected it to the scooter and tried to start, just clicking. Then put the multimeter on while the key was turned and lights were on and it was 11.63 and I don't think that is enough to start. It is back on the charger. This charger will do a 2 amp, 10 amp or 50 amp trickle charge. I guess I can't use the 10Amp option.....or I am scared to. Does anyone know if I can just try to jump it with the charger? it says to turn it to 50 to jump but it doesnt say anything about motorcycles.

cavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »
Bottom line is all I am getting is clicking at this point even when trying to jump it (read that I could do it). I put it back on the charger and will let it go all night.

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 09:41:26 PM »
Best to use the 2 amp for a few hours - unless your charger has a maintenance charge (not a trickle). Probably have to replace the battery as these do not do well holding a charge after being discharged a few times...
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

cavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 09:42:39 PM »
Best to use the 2 amp for a few hours - unless your charger has a maintenance charge (not a trickle). Probably have to replace the battery as these do not do well holding a charge after being discharged a few times...

Thanks ootscoot! I don't think those dudes at the auto store know anything.

cavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:48:46 PM »

One more question. I had read somewhere that I might consider getting a more powerful battery. I guess like a 12Ah battery. What do you think?

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 07:46:45 AM »
The Citycom needs a 12ah or 14ah battery. Either will work.
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 07:59:48 AM »
I ride year round and even in the worst cold (20's) it would start every time, yet when the battery finally died it gave me little warning. I went to Batteries Plus and ended up with a higher cold cranking amp Duracell. Still starts the same when it was cold during winter, quick and strong. The Duracell was on sale with a rebate and it has a very good warranty. So far so good.

cavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 10:40:37 AM »
The Citycom needs a 12ah or 14ah battery. Either will work.

Weird, the one that is in there is a 10.5ah.

cavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 10:52:35 AM »
I have had this battery tested twice in the difference places and both places tell me it is good. Is it still possible it is bad?

cavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 11:57:26 AM »
Make that 3 times. This time was at batteries plus and he said for sure the battery is good. I can only guess that I am dealing with a different issue. I am assuming the 10.5 Ah is not an issue as far as this goes. I wonder if I blew a fuse.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
As a general whole SYM's are bullet proof, but things can go wrong. Could there have been "another" reason the panel was removed? If the battery is in fact good, and has not went flat from sitting (meaning it will not hold a charge BUT still test o.k.) then you may have a major parasitic draw when the scooter is turned off. Keep in mind that the scooter is never truly off, as it pulls a small current for the computer and such. Check the voltage with the scoot off at the battery terminal, then start it and rev it (watch the rear wheel does not touch the ground!) and see if the system is being charged back up from the alternator (cant remember what the volts are supposed to be). There is a fuse for that circuit. The scoot is to new for alternator failure unless its been flooded out (under water) or had a accessory hooked up wrong at some point. You Tube may be of help for hands on demos of the test I mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:08:47 PM by sc00ter »

cavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
As a general whole SYM's are bullet proof, but things can go wrong. Could there have been "another" reason the panel was removed? If the battery is in fact good, and has not went flat from sitting (meaning it will not hold a charge BUT still test o.k.) then you may have a major parasitic draw when the scooter is turned off. Keep in mind that the scooter is never truly off, as it pulls a small current for the computer and such. Check the voltage with the scoot off at the battery terminal, then start it and rev it (watch the rear wheel does not touch the ground!) and see if the system is being charged back up from the alternator (cant remember what the volts are supposed to be). There is a fuse for that circuit. The scoot is to new for alternator failure unless its been flooded out (under water) or had a accessory hooked up wrong at some point. You Tube may be of help for hands on demos of the test I mentioned.

Thanks....the only problem is, I can't get it to start at all. So I guess technically this is not a charging issue at this point. I guess it either sparkplug, fuel, starter or solenoid? Not sure where to start. The link below is very descriptive to my issue. I guess I am going to do the things he did to try to narrow it down.

http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=52667&page=3

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 04:49:19 PM »
We just fixed a Genuine Buddy 125 last week, here's what it did. Hit the starter button and the starter solenoid would just click. Not being good at electrical troubleshooting we watched some videos on the "click". Tested everything down to the starter motor and was not 100% sure (starters are NOT cheap), so we started swapping parts from my wife's Buddy 125. It was a bad starter, just wore out. Being electrical idiots it was nice to have a another scoot to swap parts with. He kept thinking it was a bad cell in the battery, and almost bought a new one. That was the first thing I swapped from the wife's scoot, since the battery in his scoot tested good. Always check the fuses, as they will sometimes blow for no sane reason. I love my light bulb tester and tone tester for attempting to trouble shoot electrical gremlins. Keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck/skills/knowledge.