Author Topic: No more Symba  (Read 10439 times)

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
No more Symba
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:10:05 PM »
I just got word the SYM will no longer manufacturing the Symba. Sad to hear. So I guess that makes my Symba a collectors item.
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

Tommiesatellite

• View Profile
Re: No more Symba
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 12:07:58 AM »
Bummer for sure.  Was there any reason given for the decision?

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 04:21:25 AM »
It's sad to see her go.    :'(
Of all the motorbikes I ride, the Symba gets the most attention.
2015 SYM Symba * 1981 Honda C70
1982 Honda CT110 * 2006 Vespa LX150
2008 Vespa GTS250 * 02/09 Honda Metropolitans

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:07:44 AM »
I was told that they are making room in their production for new models

Underboning

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »
Well that's a bummer.   :-\  SYM changed the Wowow a couple of years ago to FI, so maybe they are just suspending the production of the carb'ed model?  Or maybe Alliance is just giving up on importing them? 

Either way, I think it would be a mistake if they just replace it with another "me too" model to compete directly with Kymco and the Japanese.  I think that SYM needs models like the Symba and the Wolf to give prospective owners a reason to try a new brand (especially one with limited dealership support).  If it just more of the same-same, why wouldn't you go with a more widely distributed brand? 

I guess we'll just need to keep 'em going as long as we can!  (And keep Cam on speed-dial!)

(I should be rolling over 29,000 miles this week and its just about time to do some freshening up.  My shocks are mostly just springs now!)

sklater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
Hopefully they will stock up on parts for those who have bought them. 

Adamdanger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 12:21:57 PM »
I would guess it's EPA/emissions. Alliance is probably not wanting to sink tens of thousands of dollars into a model with low sales numbers. Alliance seems to be pushing Lance pretty hard right now.

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 04:45:41 PM »
Alliance tells me that they were pleased with the Symba's sales and would have liked to continue with the bike, but SYM is discontinuing the model. I do hope they will not fall into the trap of bigger faster more of the same as everyone else...

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »
I'm sad to see the Symba go, it's my best little off-road trail bike, I love the 12 volt system.

She is a great in town bike too: (was trying a different seat on her)

But I mostly bought her for the dirt trails in my area:
2015 SYM Symba * 1981 Honda C70
1982 Honda CT110 * 2006 Vespa LX150
2008 Vespa GTS250 * 02/09 Honda Metropolitans

Adamdanger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 03:59:00 AM »
I wonder if they mean the just the symba (symba 125 on sym worldwide) or the whole platform (wowow efi). Sym still has both listed, and the efi wowow isn't that old of a model.

NB0TT

• Global Moderator
  • hop on and blast!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 12:34:48 PM »
 :'(
Current: Wolf 150, Puch Maxi-Luxe, Puch Nostalgia, Puch ZA VIP (pinto/dirtped), BMW R1150RT, 62 Vespa VBB

Past: 67 Kawasaki Roadrunner C2SS, Puch Newport, Garelli VIP, KTM Foxi GT-Deluxe, Kawasaki/Yamaha Jog Scooterabortion

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 08:19:04 PM »
The most likely explanation is that the Symba is old fashioned. The Asian consumer wants the newest and most modern of everything. Our reverence for vehicles of a classic style is considered exceedingly strange and we in North America are less and less considered an important market for International bike sales.

It's not about us.

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 08:28:51 PM »
If the Symba was sold in Taiwan, It won't be difficult to get parts here in the future no matter what happens. Things only become more difficult if you have a model of SYM like I do, that was only sold overseas. This is according to my scooter expert from Taiwan.

motox22a

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 04:45:41 PM »
What a shame but I have to say it does not surprise me. Having had another "scooter" from another Asian market mfr. this is what happens....And as far as parts go...I would hope I'm wrong but I would say don't bank on parts availability on these a few years out other than stuff you can swap from the Cub and if CAM can still provide anything after they shut it down...My guess is that in a few years you'll be scrambling to find stuff and you'll be having to find stuff from other models to make stuff work...THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE between purchasing something like the SYM and purchasing from one of the big four Japanese mfrs. I'm quite sure some here will disagree but this is what always seems to happen....The Asian Market (Non Japanese) are about getting their money today and so long...For those who plan on keeping their Symba I would buy spares now while they are still available....Cuz in a short while I'm quite certain they'll be difficult to obtain (Other than generic and used parts)...Regardless of what Alliance says now...Nate Dahl saw the writing on the wall for the Symba after the Carter Bros. fire...He was right.

SUNSET KID

• SUNSET KID
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »
   Are any of the parts exchangeable with the postie bikes of Australia I wonder. The chinese are making one called the scout; wonder if any of those parts fit the Symba.
Finally got some pictures on of my two Symbas.