Author Topic: SYM Wolf Classic 150 FAQ  (Read 8592 times)

NB0TT

• Global Moderator
  • hop on and blast!
    • View Profile
SYM Wolf Classic 150 FAQ
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
Okay so I've been rolling this around in my head for a while now and I'd like to put together a FAQ for the Wolf. Things like specs, maintenance intervals, common issues, torque specs, desmogging, bike specs etc.

This will likely be a fairly long in depth process as I put together a framework and read through old forum threads but would like to have everyone's input on what should be included for various topics etc. Maybe people can even create tutorials for specific things and post them below or even start a new thread. As this is developed I will edit the original post and create an index that includes links to specific subjects/posts/threads etc.

So please, let's all do this together and create something that will be an easy reference for all of us to use and also for future Wolf owner/riders!

Below is a rough framework off the top of my head......this will change with time and become more organized/logical:

Maintenance Intervals
Torque Specifications
Common Issues
Idle
Turn Signals (drooping/sagging)
Starting (smog)
Clutch cable
Desmog http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=1510.0
Bike Specifications
Maintenance
Valve Adjust
Camchain tension
Oil Change (derp wat oil shud i use herp)
ex use a new drain plug crush washer/oil type and weight/filter screen cleaning etc
Battery Maintenance
Topping off dry cells
Replacement batteries
Tire changing
tires/tubes that work and where to find them.
mounting tips n tricks
Aftermarket and Replacement Parts (where to find them and how to use them etc)
Suspension
Better fork oil/preload spacers/raise fork tubes for faster turn-in or lower for better high speed straight line handling etc
Better rear shocks options
Road Toolkit
Sizes of all nuts/bolts on bike: http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=11573.msg34640#msg34640

****just realized all my formatting was lost in the copy/pasta; you should get the general idea though and I'll go in and fix it later****
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:21:40 PM by NB0TT »
Current: Wolf 150, Puch Maxi-Luxe, Puch Nostalgia, Puch ZA VIP (pinto/dirtped), BMW R1150RT, 62 Vespa VBB

Past: 67 Kawasaki Roadrunner C2SS, Puch Newport, Garelli VIP, KTM Foxi GT-Deluxe, Kawasaki/Yamaha Jog Scooterabortion

loka320

• View Profile
Re: SYM Wolf Classic 150 FAQ
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »
Oh wow, this is a GREAT idea.

I am a total noob so I don't know how I can contribute, but would love to help in any way I can.
My bike is BONE STOCK right now, so I can offer to take photos/pics of a stock setup, if needed?

IB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 10:25:16 PM »
I think this is a great idea. I would do a write up on the drooping turn signals if I could figure out how to do pics on here! Lol I used stock signals just modified to delete the arms, it looks great! And it's free!  I have also de smogged, deleted a few things, done the 17 tooth sprocket, heal toe shift, custom clubman bars (the cheap way since I can't afford cam's setup. Sorry cam).
2017 Sym Wolf Classic

1986 Honda VF500F  Street fighter!

NB0TT

• Global Moderator
  • hop on and blast!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 10:14:54 PM »
I think this is a great idea. I would do a write up on the drooping turn signals if I could figure out how to do pics on here! Lol I used stock signals just modified to delete the arms, it looks great! And it's free!  I have also de smogged, deleted a few things, done the 17 tooth sprocket, heal toe shift, custom clubman bars (the cheap way since I can't afford cam's setup. Sorry cam).

Use imgur.com to host the images then get the link for the photo and use the Insert Image icon above the smiley on the left when making a post. Or you could do the write-ups, email it to me along with the photos and I can resize/format and post for you instead.
Current: Wolf 150, Puch Maxi-Luxe, Puch Nostalgia, Puch ZA VIP (pinto/dirtped), BMW R1150RT, 62 Vespa VBB

Past: 67 Kawasaki Roadrunner C2SS, Puch Newport, Garelli VIP, KTM Foxi GT-Deluxe, Kawasaki/Yamaha Jog Scooterabortion

NB0TT

• Global Moderator
  • hop on and blast!
    • View Profile
Nuts and Bolt sizes
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:20:43 PM »
This is just some of the sizes that I quickly checked yesterday while adjusting my valves. It's definitely not complete yet so if someone else can take some wrenches to their Wolf to fill in the gaps that'd be excellent!

Flywheel: 14 mm
Cam Cover: 8 mm
Valve Cover: 23 mm
Valve adjuster: 10 mm square type
Seat bolts: 13 mm
Shock bolts: 17 mm
Spark plug: 12 mm plug thread wrench needed is 18 mm
Front Wheel: 14 and 19 mm
Caliper mount: 12 mm
Caliper pin: 12 mm
Brake line mount to fork: 10 mm
Fork headset nut: 29 mm
Rear axle: 22 and 29 mm
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:58:39 AM by NB0TT »

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
Re: Nuts and Bolt sizes
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »

Spark plug: 12 mm plug wrench

I believe the thread is 12mm but the socket wrench is 18mm ..... I have been known to be wrong. :-\
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

NB0TT

• Global Moderator
  • hop on and blast!
    • View Profile
Re: Nuts and Bolt sizes
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »

Spark plug: 12 mm plug wrench

I believe the thread is 12mm but the socket wrench is 18mm ..... I have been known to be wrong. :-\

Right on PB! Yep, thread is 12mm on the plug so in my mind I always think of plug size......most others I work with are always 14mm but of course the plug wrench needed is much larger. Corrected above.

Still looking for help from others with content to add or sizes of other nuts/bolts that I didn't check yet. Maybe someone can find the links to other threads about airbox mods or common issues etc.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:06:44 PM by NB0TT »

campurvis

• www.scooterseals.com
    • View Profile
    • www.scooterseals.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 08:28:23 PM »
To: IB
Aha! Innovation strikes again! The truth is that there is more than one way to raise handlebars. People should always use a method thatis safe and suits their needs, style and project budget.  The western handlebar mounting kit I sell is very traditional in that its handlebar stanchions are rubber mounted.  That means you can switch to traditional style closed-end handgrips if you wish because you no longer need to use handlebar end weights to quell vibration.  Some people like the looks of the bar-end weights. Some don't. Individual preferences rule.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:33:06 PM by campurvis »
Hsinchu City, Taiwan

KoOni

• View Profile
    • portfolio website
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:16:23 AM »
Don't know if this is quite that frequently asked of a question... perhaps more of an oddball out-of-left-field question... but has anyone tried fitting a Honda tank on a Sym Wolf Classic or vice-versa?

quixano

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »
Mechanics Manual: I got this via someone who shared on the Lovers of Sym Wolf facebook group. But, thought it might be helpful to others in this thread and in forum who wanted a mechanics manual on the Wolf. I'm not 100% sure about the compatibility with each year. I have a 2015 and most of it seemed on point as I've casually perused it. Let me know if the link does not work for you or cannot download.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwt6gUtQJQfdTjJkMHZVN3pZLVU/view?usp=sharing

NB0TT

• Global Moderator
  • hop on and blast!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 08:31:48 AM »
Mechanics Manual: I got this via someone who shared on the Lovers of Sym Wolf facebook group. But, thought it might be helpful to others in this thread and in forum who wanted a mechanics manual on the Wolf. I'm not 100% sure about the compatibility with each year. I have a 2015 and most of it seemed on point as I've casually perused it. Let me know if the link does not work for you or cannot download.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwt6gUtQJQfdTjJkMHZVN3pZLVU/view?usp=sharing

I believe this is for the 125 model which does have some differences.....like a different valve spec and some other things I can't remember at the moment.

ps. sorry I haven't done anything with this FAQ; I've been super unmotivated since the summer. If anyone wants to compile more info/links pm it to me or post it here and I'll edit the OP.

quixano

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »
I believe this is for the 125 model which does have some differences.....like a different valve spec and some other things I can't remember at the moment.

Is there a 150 Mechanics Manual floating around out there? I've exhausted my search abilities.

Greyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 05:13:11 PM »
Ok I have an imgur acct and a bike photo posted. How exactly do I get the link info? Thank you.

BeebBobE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 06:59:30 AM »
Is there a 150 Mechanics Manual floating around out there? I've exhausted my search abilities.
.......  Idiotically, they do not offer one to the people here in the USA and as a result the ones who buy the motorcycle will abandon the brand for lack of one. Because it shows a lack of respect for the people who buy the cycle and disregard for the ability of the customer to do their own work or service.  Or, they will be less likely to buy as a result. Forcing "dealer only" access will cause folks to not support the brand. It's a money driven idea to not provide one but, not a reasonable one . Since it is not reasonable or realistic then they will lose support in spite of selling a few motorcycles. Along with not an easy access to parts they will not gain any kind of market and people will abandon it for other brands who do provide the things that cyclist need and want. JMHO.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:09:55 AM by BeebBobE »
Ride like a Klingon....

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 07:48:19 AM »
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:50:27 AM by redridinghood »