Author Topic: Fuel Cap Leaking  (Read 6202 times)

scosgt

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Cap Leaking
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2015, 03:38:48 PM »
As the owner of a 2015 HD200EVO, I don't like the sound of all this. My gas cap has been difficult to install since new, but does not leak or come loose. I am also concerned about where to get parts. There is only one dealer in my state, and who knows how long they are going to be there. I had reservations about buying this scooter in the first place because of the parts issue, but many members of a scooter forum assured me I would have no issues with parts. So far the scooter has ran great, and I am very pleased with it. But at some point it is going to need parts, and if they are not available, the scooter will be worthless.

You can always get parts online. I have bought belts, clutch, air filter, carb, starter, front brake disks (rear are possibly the same) all on line. If you have to, you can order from England or Germany, they have many SYM dealers there.
The good news is you won't need many parts, it is a very reliable machine.

Dabears

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »
As the owner of a 2015 HD200EVO, I don't like the sound of all this. My gas cap has been difficult to install since new, but does not leak or come loose. I am also concerned about where to get parts. There is only one dealer in my state, and who knows how long they are going to be there. I had reservations about buying this scooter in the first place because of the parts issue, but many members of a scooter forum assured me I would have no issues with parts. So far the scooter has ran great, and I am very pleased with it. But at some point it is going to need parts, and if they are not available, the scooter will be worthless.

You can always get parts online. I have bought belts, clutch, air filter, carb, starter, front brake disks (rear are possibly the same) all on line. If you have to, you can order from England or Germany, they have many SYM dealers there.
The good news is you won't need many parts, it is a very reliable machine.

Scosgt- if you wanted to purchase a new SYM drive belt please advise where you would go to do this.  I'm not having luck finding anything remotely reasonable for such a basic part.  Would love to know where your reliable online sources are as I'm hesitant to buy from some place on the other side of the world, although I did have to buy my air filter via Spain, which just seems insane to me.  I can get parts for my 35 year old Vespa from US site all day long. Thanks in advance

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
I have not bought a belt in a while, since I have two spares on hand.
Both purchased for around $60 new.

I bought a front rotor from Germany, a clutch from Israel.

Keep in mind MOST parts for the HD 125 are the same as for the HD 200 (do not think the belt is the same).

Ebay is a good source, here are some others:

http://www.racingplanetusa.com/sanyang-carburetor-lh18w-c-1456_44690-1.html?sessID=9c59671401984275e69ad964ddedc142

http://www.scooterdynasty.com/hd2004tlc.aspx

Here is the actual belt. Probably about $10 high, or the prices may have gone up:

http://www.scooterdynasty.com/beltforsymhd200.aspx

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/symhd200evoparts

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 02:21:47 PM »
I don't know what you consider "remotely reasonable". HD belts have always been in the $79 range. That is what they cost.

Dabears

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »
I don't know what you consider "remotely reasonable". HD belts have always been in the $79 range. That is what they cost.

I have no problem paying $75 for a belt if I could find a factory belt for that amount.  The one actual SYM belt on eBay that is $129.50 is the one I was thinking about as being unreasonable. 

Have you actually purchased from any of the sites you referenced? I ask because I ordered a brake handle from Racing Planet and it appeared to be something that came from a 3rd world clone shop- it was not a SYM Oem part.   I don't want Dayco belts.....

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »

I posted the link to the original SYM belt. They also have the Dayco for $10 less.

Google is your friend. Use it. I have bought from all these vendors, never a problem.
Racing Planet carries an aftermarket front rotor. Bought one, looks good.
In case you don't know, DYM does NOT make most of their parts. Belt is a Bando. Radiator is from CF Moto. Hoses are all aftermarket. Carb is NOT made by SYM. Often you can buy the same product for less.

I have no problem paying $75 for a belt if I could find a factory belt for that amount.  The one actual SYM belt on eBay that is $129.50 is the one I was thinking about as being unreasonable. 

Have you actually purchased from any of the sites you referenced? I ask because I ordered a brake handle from Racing Planet and it appeared to be something that came from a 3rd world clone shop- it was not a SYM Oem part.   I don't want Dayco belts.....

xiboca

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 08:02:11 AM »
At the suggestion from Ootscoot (SYM Dealer), I sent an email regarding this condition to Mike at Alliance on August 28, 2015.

I received a very prompt email response from Simon Liang at Alliance, requesting my telephone number.  (Which I immediately sent.)

I have not received any communication since.

FOLLOW-UP:

Yesterday, (9/21) I received a call from Mike at Alliance.
He advised that:
"They have forwarded all information regarding this situation to SYM, but, as of now, there is not any solution.
It is anticipated that the soon to arrive, HD200 fuel injected model, may not have this problem."

Thank you Mike, for the courtesy follow-up call.
Unfortunately, no solution.

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 06:45:28 PM »
I really don't buy the no solution answer.  Most owners don't have the reported problem even on high mileage scooters so it isn't a universal issue.  Anyway I'm happy to have my HD and hope I never have this problem.  Good luck.

Mike @ Lance Powersports

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »
We have found that the vast majority of  HD 200's sold do not have this problem, recently there have been a few reports. There are no threads on the filler neck  or the gas cap and the cap can only be secured by lining it up carefully and using  the key to lock & unlock  the cap. The majority of the riders that do and have did this for the life of the bike have had no problems. We had one report of a guy attempting to screw his gas cap on  on more that one occasion and it did indeed eat away at his plastic, it would only be speculation to assume this is where a few of the other reports came from. As for a solution for the few that are experiencing the trouble like xiboca mentioned there is no viable solution but we hope for one soon.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 09:55:09 PM »
Thankfully I haven't seen this issue myself, & I do note that Mike described how I use the gas cap perfectly.  Hopefully that will prevent this from happening.

For those that do have issues  I'd think you could fake something with a nylon insert cap and threads and some gasoline resistant adhesive, or if the plastic is up to it something you could thread in there. 

You'd have to pull the tank to do it right since you'll want to make sure any debris was out of there after the job was done of course, but barring a serious material decay issue vs. what was described by Mike something along those lines should be doable.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:59:52 PM by Tromper »
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

pele101

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »
Anyone interested in seeking compensation for a defective gas tank scooter that leaks please reply to this forum. I can refer you to the attorney that got me compensated for the 2008 Sym HD 200 that I bought defective. You don't pay the attorney a cent!!! He gets paid when he wins the case. He knows his law Magnuson Moss Warranty Act and will get you more than what you paid for the scooter. Probably a new one or the money and damages. Sym knows they ripped off many customers and is only fair to get compensated for this defective scooter. Take action and don't seat there thinking you will solve the problem with your own money by fixing it. Make SYM pay for it.
Modify message