Author Topic: Fuel Cap Leaking  (Read 6720 times)

xiboca

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Cap Leaking
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 10:32:04 AM »
email sent to Alliance:

To    info@alliancepowersports.com
Hi Mike:

I own a 2012 HD 200 EVO.

I am extremely happy with this scooter (After I resolved problem of crankcase filling with gasoline).

Since the day I bought the scooter, the gas cap has not locked onto the gas tank filler tube.
I very carefully and securely attempt to lock the gas cap onto the filler tube, but the cap locking tabs do not correctly latch the cap to the filler tube.
I am careful not to fill the gas tank too full to avoid leakage while riding, but the problem is that the gas cap is not latched to the filler tube and could actually be shaken off.

I have read on the internet forums that this condition is not unique to my scooter, and that many HD 200 owners are experiencing the same condition.

I have read of some owners who have purchased rubber bottle or pipe "stoppers" to use in place of the gas cap, but  the "stoppers" do not seal the filler pipe, due to the filler pipe "cut outs" intended to accept the gas cap locking tabs.

Is there some solution to this condition?

Regards,

Xiboca
xiboca@yahoo.com

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 11:51:13 AM »
I hope I never have this problem, I think I understand that it can occur that the gas cap tabs can wear away on the plastic filler neck mating surface and then the cap won't tighten down.  Would it help to use a thicker gasket in the cap to make the fit tight again?  Or are some owners caps missing the gasket which won't allow a tight fit in the first place?

xiboca

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 11:59:12 AM »
In my case, the gasket is not the problem.

Gas Cap "barrel" O.D. is smaller than Tank filler tube I.D. so that the gas cap "locking tabs" do not protrude sufficiently to lock into the filler tube "cut out slots".

A cap with longer "locking tabs", so that they extended into the filler tube slots would resolve the problem.

I purchased a generic scooter gas cap via ebay, but it also didnot match the filler tube correctly.

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »
It is hard to imagine how that could even be possible unless your scooter was supplied with a wrong size cap or if somehow SYM had a bad batch of tanks.  I hope SYM/Alliance can figure this out for you, if you bought it from a local dealer it seems like they should be able to do all of this for you instead of you having to contact SYM on your own.

xiboca

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 01:01:45 PM »
Dealer went "out of business" just after I purchased scooter.

I went to next closest dealer (100 miles) and they were very cordial, but said that they were unaware of any "general" problem with gas caps and didn't think that they could resolve the situation.

Blitzen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 01:05:51 PM »
A week ago I emailed Sym
The person I talked to said his name was Mike and to my knowledge, nothing has been done to correct the problem. >:(
    Why are you not referring your inquiries and issues to a DEALER? With respect, Mike has no obligation to you sir. You need to speak to the people you bought it from. The Dealer will make the distinction between what is warranty and what isn't. The dealer will order parts and get your bike functioning, not Mike. Do not email the distributor. That's a great way to irritate your dealer. It's called breaking rank in the military. Its called being ignorant in the business world.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »
A week ago I emailed Sym
The person I talked to said his name was Mike and to my knowledge, nothing has been done to correct the problem. >:(
    Why are you not referring your inquiries and issues to a DEALER? With respect, Mike has no obligation to you sir. You need to speak to the people you bought it from. The Dealer will make the distinction between what is warranty and what isn't. The dealer will order parts and get your bike functioning, not Mike. Do not email the distributor. That's a great way to irritate your dealer. It's called breaking rank in the military. Its called being ignorant in the business world.

Just a WONDERFUL third post. Did you not bother to read where he stated DEALER WENT OUT OF BUSINESS.

Please read the entire thread before you post negatively.

xiboca

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »
Mr Blitzin:

In my case: See above post.

A DEALER posted on THIS forum, requesting that we contact Alliance for assistance.

I contacted Alliance and received a very prompt reply from "Simon"

My response:

Simon:

Thank you for your very prompt response.

It would appear that the problem is:

Gas Cap "barrel" O.D. is smaller than Tank filler tube I.D. so that the gas cap "locking tabs" do not protrude sufficiently to lock under the  filler tube " retainer" ledge.

A cap with larger "barrel" O.D. so that it "centered" into the filler tube more accurately and longer "locking tabs", so that they extended under the filler tube retainer might resolve the problem.

Attached are pictures which don't indicate the situation, but do show "scratching" to the filler tube, which is caused by the cap "locking tabs, not, protruding under the filler tube "locking retainer".

Regards,

xiboca
xiboca@yahoo.com

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »

SandRat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 05:15:20 PM »
It is a design flaw and the only solution is to replace the tank which will end up with the same problem...We have discontinued selling the HD200 and have let Alliancepowersports know about this. Might be helpful if everyone with this problem contact : info@alliancepowersports.com

Is the HD200 the same as the HD200 evo? Or did them improve on this issue?  Should I expect this to happen to mine as well down the road?  Mine is a 2015.  Thanks.

RidingIsFun

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2015, 11:45:52 AM »
I have the 2012 Evo model and yes, the gas cap is not seating properly. Makes me very angry that I've had so many problems with this scooter and overall Alliance hasn't been responsive to most of them (gas in oil, leaking gas cap, etc). Very discouraging and makes me want to sell...
2012 HD200 Evo
Puig 992 Windscreen

pele101

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 05:06:54 PM »
Welcome to the club of hd200 gas leaking issue. There are many out there my friend it seems from a lot of posts on this forum. It seems gas cap metal does not work well with gas tank plastic and wears out the gas tank and in turn gas leaks!!! I have had it with this issue on my hd200 evo 2013 for almost 2 years now. I am putting mine for sale and moving on to another scooter with no problems!! If I could fix this issue i would but so far nobody on this forum has provided a solution and we are stuck!! Good luck to you.

xiboca

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »
At the suggestion from Ootscoot (SYM Dealer), I sent an email regarding this condition to Mike at Alliance on August 28, 2015.

I received a very prompt email response from Simon Liang at Alliance, requesting my telephone number.  (Which I immediately sent.)

I have not received any communication since. 

suitcasejefferson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2015, 09:25:54 PM »
As the owner of a 2015 HD200EVO, I don't like the sound of all this. My gas cap has been difficult to install since new, but does not leak or come loose. I am also concerned about where to get parts. There is only one dealer in my state, and who knows how long they are going to be there. I had reservations about buying this scooter in the first place because of the parts issue, but many members of a scooter forum assured me I would have no issues with parts. So far the scooter has ran great, and I am very pleased with it. But at some point it is going to need parts, and if they are not available, the scooter will be worthless.

AMAC1680

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 04:08:08 AM »
A week ago I emailed Sym

That sounds like a statement a dealer would make.
As the customer he has every right to contact alliance if he does not receive what he, the customer, feels is a proper resolution.

Piss off a dealer that doesn't care about an obvious problem? Too bad.
At the end of the day alliance has a dealer network problem that never seems to get better so it is mikes problem

In sales the customer holds rank. Period.
It's ignorant to think otherwise.

AMAC

AMAC