Author Topic: Fuel Cap Leaking  (Read 6203 times)

jackbenz

• View Profile
Fuel Cap Leaking
« on: June 03, 2015, 02:59:06 PM »
I am experiencing an issue with a 2012 HD 200 EVO  It appears that the plastic fill pipe has worn out from taking the cap on and off when refueling.  Is there anyone else seeing this problem. Is replacing the tank the solution?

Etamni

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Cap Leaking
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
I just checked my 2012 HD 200 after reading your post.  While I do see a small amount of wear, it doesn't appear to be wearing out and the cap isn't loose or anything.  FYI I just passed 10,000 miles on the odometer and a review of my records shows I've bought fuel 114 times for my scoot.  I wouldn't expect to see significant wear at this point, but your results may be different.  I'm not sure what differences there are between the HD 200 and the HD 200 EVO, if any.

If anyone around here has seen this issue before, I'd expect it to be a dealer or mechanic; several lurk around here frequently.  ;) 

Edit: While all of my documentation indicates that my scoot is a 2012 HD 200, it actually has the HD 200 EVO emblem on the side, so I guess it is what it is.  The main thing is that the 2012 scoots are too new to be having significant wear on the gas caps or filler necks.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:16:47 AM by Etamni »
2012 Sym HD200 EVO

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 07:24:47 PM »
Maybe the cap needs a new gasket?

xiboca

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:15:40 PM »
Fuel cap on my 2012 HD 200 never closed or sealed properly from day one.
When cap is locked in place, I can pull it off with my hand, (without key). 

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »
We are seeing this on a few HDs. I have been told the only solution is to replace the tank, but I would like to figure out some kind of insert/reinforcement ...
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

xiboca

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 09:44:21 PM »
Ootscoot:

If you discover a viable repair, please post it here.

Thank you.

jackbenz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »
I will be away for several months. When I return I will purchase a new tank and hopefully that will solve the problem. The cap is loose even when locked. I am pretty sure it is wear at the fill pipe causing the issue. Expensive solution to a problem. I have had the Scooter for 3 years and use it very often.
Also, I have 2 HD200i in Greece and they do not experience the problem.

replaced the tank and now no more leaks 12/2015
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:47:58 PM by jackbenz »

RidingIsFun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 12:36:06 PM »
I have pictures of an incident that occurred with my scoot and the loose cap. I actually think it was because I did not have it seated properly although it appeared to go on fine. I pulled away with a full tank of gas, put the bike on the kickstand when I got to work (again, my fault as I normally always use the center stand after a fill up) and when I came out 6 hours later, gas was all over the ground and had seeped into my paint. When the paint dried, it peeled. EERR :-[

I know all of those things were my fault. But I can't help but think the gas cap couldn't be a little more fool proof. Never had trouble getting any other gas cap to seal. Love that it's locked with a key, hate that it's hard to sometimes seal.
2012 HD200 Evo
Puig 992 Windscreen

igz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »
I've been having this issue on my 2012 HD 200 as well. It's incredibly frustrating.

In my case, the tank filler neck and gas cap arrester are "worn out" from regular use. This is a huge disappointment, considering the bike is solid overall. For me, this issue has been going on for about a year, and in that time I've been able to figure out the best way to keep the gas cap on. Your mileage may vary, but here's what I do:

1) After placing the gas cap back on the bike, turn it all the way to counter-clockwise; note where it stops turning
2) Without turning the key, turn the gas cap clockwise; note where it stops turning
3) Now, turn counter-clockwise, and stop half-way between where you noted it normally stops
4) Holding the gas cap in place, now turn the key to tighten
5) Test whether it's secure by gently trying to pulling it off the bike by tilting the gas cap downwards, and also upwards. If it comes off, go back to step 1

With some luck and experimentation, you should this way be able to find a sweet spot where turning the key actually latches. I believe that the design flaw is in the fact that by turning the key, one can very easily scrape layers of plastic off the arrester. This, over time, prevents the gas cap from latching onto anything, because you've scraped off what it's supposed to latch on to!

What's doubly disappointing is that I spoke with a guy at my dealer, who said that his previous company would rent out HD200s, and they'd come back leaking all the time, or even missing a gas cap. Just imagine renting a scooter and having fuel leak because you didn't know the secret handshake involved in keeping the cap on.

In my opinion, this is a terrible design flaw, which SYM should acknowledge, recall and replace for free. Replacing the tank
would cost me upwards of $500 for parts and labor; apparently, this is not a commonly replaced part, so a bike has to get stripped for parts in order to get a replacement tank.

sqwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »
I have a 2012 SYM HD200. This happened to me about 18 months ago and I had to buy a new gas tank. At the time the SYM distributor claimed they hadn't seen this before so it wasn't covered under warranty. Luckily for me, they didn't charge me labor and gave me the tank 'at cost' so it only cost me like $80 or so.

Anyway, it's frustrating because I only had ~1500 miles on it at the time. I currently have 2700 miles on it and overall I've been very disappointed in the reliability of this scooter, as it's been in the shop 3-4 times for various issues like a bad valve, coolant leaking, fuel leaking (tank). It's currently back in the shop again because of a flaky ignition starter (doesn't start sometimes when pressing starter switch). And to top it off, on the way to the scooter shop it started hesitating at speeds of 40+.

Just not having any luck with this scooter, so once these issues are fixed I plan to resell it and move on to probably the 2015 Honda PCX 150. :(

beagle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 10:16:13 PM »
I have an 2012 HD 200 that I purchased new. Lately I've been having fuel leak out onto the ground whenever I place it on its side stand. I placed it on its center stand and removed the seat bucket to see if it was a faulty fuel line. When everything seemed fine, I leaned it onto its side stand and fuel poured from where the fuel cap mates with the fuel tank. Under closer inspection, I notice that the fuel caps 2 square metal tangs that are to lock it to a plastic lip in the tank neck have worn the plastic to the point where the cap will not seal to the tank neck.

Any engineer worth his salt knows that 2 dissimilar materials will wear faster than similar materials, especially when put under load. The lip in the tank neck is worn and chipped to the point that fuel splashes all over the back end of the scooter. I think I can safely say that any car or motorcycle that I have seen in the past have a metal cap that locks into a metal tank or neck.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 09:44:24 AM by beagle »

beagle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »
A week ago I emailed Sym (http://www.alliancepowersports.com/contact.html) about the problem with the mating of the metal cap to the plastic tank neck and their answer was to only fill the tank half-full. This is not what the scooter was designed for... getting only half the range it advertized.
The person I talked to said his name was Mike and to my knowledge, nothing has been done to correct the problem. What I have been reading, this has been an issue since 2008 scooters.
He said that he would email me a copy of our conversation, but I have yet to hear from him or SYM. >:(

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 01:59:01 PM »
Ace Hardware has a rubber stopper that will fit. Still need to find some way to block the locking channels, but the stopper could be carved or some wedges made. It would be a cheap solution.

igz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »
We are seeing this on a few HDs. I have been told the only solution is to replace the tank, but I would like to figure out some kind of insert/reinforcement ...

Ootscoot (or anyone else), please let us know if you find a viable solution. The problem seems to be getting worse on mine. Fed up, I stopped by my SYM dealer this morning to get an updated estimate. $610 for parts and labor!! This is ridiculous for something that is very clearly a design flaw.

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 09:05:28 AM »
It is a design flaw and the only solution is to replace the tank which will end up with the same problem...We have discontinued selling the HD200 and have let Alliancepowersports know about this. Might be helpful if everyone with this problem contact : info@alliancepowersports.com
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!