Author Topic: Air Filter housing unit needs to replaced AGAIN!!  (Read 1607 times)

sklater

• View Profile
Air Filter housing unit needs to replaced AGAIN!!
« on: April 22, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
Hello everyone, been a bit since I've been on here. 

2014 Symba purchased Feb. 2014

So, this last summer when I did my second oil change (1000 miles on the odometer) I noticed that my air filter housing unit was cracked (cleaned air filter) where the hose meets the box on the lower right side and is in danger of falling off.  The larger rubber portion that attaches to the CARB is was cracked.  Well, because it was under warranty I got a whole new unit.  Yay!!

Well, my last time I checked the air filter was at 6,000 miles and lo and behold same problem with the air filter housing unit.  Same two hoses cracked, and used electrical tape to hold up the smaller one on the lower right side.  Now that it's out of warranty, I have to purchase a new one myself.  It has a tendency of dying quite easy at stops because it's not getting sufficient air flow (probably needs a CARB cleaning as well).

Any of you also have a problem with this?  Seems like a design flaw to me. 

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj544/sklater/IMG_2618_zpsmmlzh4ts.jpg
(You can't see the crack because it's covered with the tape). Actually, more like it's completely torn off.

sklater

• View Profile
Re: Air Filter housing unit needs to replaced AGAIN!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 11:51:30 AM »
Here's a better picture of it.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj544/sklater/IMG_2620_zpsavrxl8ol.jpg

You have to zoom in to see the small cracks on the connector to the CARB, and you can see the electrical tape holding up the smaller rubber  hose, and the odd angle it's bent is where it's torn through.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 11:58:59 AM by sklater »

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »
As a preventative maintenance strategy . . applying a light smear of silicone gease (NOT RTV silicone sealer) on rubber join surfaces, and applying ArmorAll (or similar product) with a foam brush on rubber and plastic intake elements may deter cracking . . DO NOT APPLY ON TIRES OR SEAT.

sklater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 11:57:19 AM »
I guess I should saw the smaller hose didn't crack, it tore right through.  It's as if the angle the hose attaches to the unit puts extra stress on it and it tears right through. 

And how did you get your pictures to post directly in the feed, rather than using a link?

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 12:30:23 PM »
how did you get your pictures to post directly in the feed, rather than using a link

Copy image URL and paste between [img ][/img ] tags (without spaces).  Imgur is one image host.

Underboning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:34:42 PM »
To post a photo, just click on the little icon all the way to the left, right above the smileys and below the bold B. 

This will give you IMG tags.  Click in between the tags and paste the location of your photo there.

Like this!

turtle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 02:23:15 PM »
Mine shows early signs of cracking (6000 miles, 2010 model). The intake rubber is definitely poor quality. I wonder if your hoses are not routed properly. That could put pressure  on it and make things worse.

The hose goes to the charcoal canister. The original Honda Cub probably doesn't use a charcoal canister. So, this hose is new, and it appears to be a poor design afterthought.

You can't just buy the rubber. You have to buy the whole unit (airbox and rubber) $$$.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:30:12 PM by turtle »

sklater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »
Yes, that's the problem.  The entire unit is needed, all because of a 1 cm tear on the hose nipple. 

turtle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:55:16 AM »
I wander if you can slather/spray this stuff all over the hose junction. I saw this commercial on late night TV...where they shot a canon ball into the bottle of a canoe, and then patch the holes using this stuff. They make it seem to be super strong and sticky.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:58:46 AM by turtle »

Slob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 02:42:58 AM »
I have the same issue as above.

Couple of Qs:

1. What is the charcol canister?
2. Do I need it?
3. Has anyone found a solution to this problem - appears to be common.

Thanks, Slob

Slob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »
For the record, I unplugged the hose, blocked it off with a screw and used RTV sealant goop over the other cracks/holes.
Also for the record, mine is a late 2013 model - didn't last 3 years.

Bike still makes me smile though!