Author Topic: Dual headlights  (Read 3903 times)

Rickaroo3d

• View Profile
    • My Truck Cam
Dual headlights
« on: April 23, 2011, 08:34:58 AM »
Just bought a 2011 Rv300i last night (my luck it's raining today and can just stare at it in the garage). Did take it for a 30 mile spin last night and in comparison to my 2007 GTS250 thought it didn't quite have as much oomph. Perhaps oomph will prevail after it's broken in..hope. What drives me nuts are the dual headlights that illuminate one or the other. I've been told by 3 people already I have a burnt out headlight. Why on earth would a manufacturer design it like this? I don't get. Next question..can a mod. be done?

Thx, Great looking scooter otherwise and I expect after break in she's gonna rip.
SYM RV300i & SYM GTS 250

57Mike

• View Profile
Re: Dual headlights
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:48:44 AM »
Lots of motorcycles are set up with that headlight arrangement, and Suzuki switched back and forth on the 400 I believe.  I too want low and high on both sides.  That's part of the charm of the stacked lights on the RV250.  And I think there are lightbulb replacements or wiring mods to set up both sides on low.  Perhaps you could find a good answer over at BurgmanUSA.com.  Good luck and congratulations.
2008 SYM RV250 (Red) - Fireball

Kiwiscoot

• Scootaholic - Down Under New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:16:22 PM »
Next question..can a mod. be done?
Just run extra wires from each of the connectors of the headlights to the other connector missing the connection. I too like the dual headlights of my Citycom.
Citycom 300i - 46 000+ kms what a blast.
Citycom review: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=200cc&action=display&thread=16772

DougReid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:13:09 AM »
Hi,

Problem is you might run your battery flat.

I found when I ride with the fog lights on the battery charge light comes on.

My Yamaha BWS had dual lights and was great.

Regards,

Doug

Rickaroo3d

• View Profile
    • My Truck Cam
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:37:21 AM »
You're probably right. Haven't done anything about it since. Getting used to it now. On my other scooter (RV250) I had the same problem with the battery light coming on when using headlights and fog lights at the same time. I needed to change the battery anyways and when I did, the battery light has never come back on.

Drive Safely...Rick
SYM RV300i & SYM GTS 250

57Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:09:36 PM »
Interesting thing about the fog lights.  I run mine sometimes and don't get the warning.  Perhaps like Rick my battery is just very healthy.

Thinking back on it, that was a selling point - the salesman showed me that even at idle, there was enough electrical power to run extra lights without the charge light coming on.
2008 SYM RV250 (Red) - Fireball

Ronnie Ventura

• (formerly Uncle Burger)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »
OP: your battery's just fine.

The problem is with the voltage sensor that tells the battery fault indicator to light up or otherwise: it is calibrated a bit too high up the scale ... we are detecting it triggering at 13.4V and below. This is a known issue with the dual-headlight-equipped models. In Malaysia, it's on the 250cc (249cc actual) EFI variant. Your RV300i is the over-bored version at 262cc.

Something you do need to be mindful of, is the low/high beam headlight switch, and the main fuse holder/connector. It can be inadvertently triggered onto a "midway" position ... straddling in-between the low- and high-beam position. (Actually this is also a known "bug" on the RV250 as well.) When that happens, you will have both the low- and high-beams on simultaneously on.

This draws a lot of current through the system (110W on the headlights alone), overwhelming the under-spec'ed main fuse holder/connector's tolerance for heat buildup, causing it to melt and fuse everything together ... Worse part is, you will NOT know when that main fuse is blown while on the scooter, cos power to ALL points of the scooter (including the EFI system) will then be exclusively fed by the battery.

A friend of mine learned that the hard way when he and I went long-distance riding some time back. He sputtered to a stop in the next town we were due to rest for the day; battery totally depleted feeding the EFI. We were lucky that I was able to brute-yank the half-melted main fuse out of the holder/connector and replace it, and had the battery charged at a dealer. His main fuse holder/connector assembly was replaced under warranty at the end of the trip by SYM ... and subsequently for all others already on the road. Kinda, sorta like a recall.

CaptainKGB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 08:00:53 PM »
My honda Reflex also has the dual light, one at a time setup.  So did my old Buell.  I can't count the number of times I have been told I had a light out, once by a cop, to whom I had to demo the high/low function, to get out of a ticket for broken safety equipment.

I've grown quite fond of the light setup on my RV250!

Regards,
CaptainKGB
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:03:01 PM by CaptainKGB »

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 05:14:20 PM »
Give it time. It takes a longtime for ceramic cylindered SYM's to really run their best. I noticed a big difference in performance with my Citycom at 7000 KM and now at 13000 KM I can feel the performance still improving.

This kind of durability in an engine is a very good thing.